Beautiful Things

It will be much better for the larger mammals as they will have much more space.

True and the most important thing I suppose. They don’t have that many large mammals at the zoo. The Wild Place is a very flat and boring site though, whilst the Zoo is a beautiful garden setting. Also, the the loss of the bug house, reptile house and the underwater seal / fish dipslay is sad. I hope they don’t just go for the obvious crowd pleasers at the new site.

The hillside woodland bear enclosure with elevated walkway is very good. The lions, gorillas and okapi should be much better off in the new place. I imagine that the bug house will be recreated at some point, too. Creepy crawlies are an easy win.

Truth is the Clifton site was always too small for larger mammals.

I will never forget visiting as a child and seeing the sad sight of a polar bear in a dirty concrete pit continuously rocking from side to side.

Cheer up.

Here’s an Arabian sand boa.

I’m sure that IRL he kicks ass.

Unfortunately he looks like someone glued googly eyes on a stick.

7 Likes

Shovel-nosed guitarfish

1 Like

:laughing:

I’m sure I shouldn’t laugh, but

:laughing:

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Crack snacks

Turkish agate.

10 Likes

Buff Tip moth - incredible camouflage

17 Likes

Japanese paper artist Chie Hitotsuyama creates sculptures of animals using a technique involving rolled strips of wet newspaper

Some more incrdible examples - I want that Komodo Dragon

https://avantgallery.com/chie-hitotsuyama/

6 Likes

Hartley Hare from Pipkins.

3 Likes

You’re right - it did look familiar.

:slight_smile:

7 Likes

2 Likes

I don’t trust any animal that has predator level camouflage skills. They are sneaky and up to no good in some manner :slight_smile:

4 Likes

How about a Sabertooth Longhorn Beetle then

6 Likes

:grinning:

5 Likes

That’s not camouflage, that’s fucking war paint.

An amazing looking beastie

You know where you are with something like that, you keep out of it’s fcking way!