Beautiful Things

Got some guys from betel, working in garden today. Ex addicts etc working in this Christian rehab charity. One just handed in a ring they found. Impressive honesty , it may be worthless but rare to find such honesty

14 Likes

As you say, great honesty. They should be commended.

Any hallmarks on the ring?

1 Like

There are some markings on the left side.

are they numbers on the inside or symbols? Looks like it might be “925”, which is likely to be Sterling silver

3 Likes

That looks the most likely answer. Which probably means the stones are either semi-precious or just glass.

yes it says 925 on the inside . has one big diamond like stone in middle with smaller one either side .then 3 small ones on side . you guys have good sight to pick out the numbers !!!

even more remarkable is the fact that the guy was a heroin addict for 19 years and been clean for 4 living in this community doing work . i think mr kettle had some work done by betel as well if i remember

http://www.betelgardens.co.uk/

3 Likes

Good on him, lovely story :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

13 Likes

Space shuttle leaving earth, taken from the International Space Station.

26 Likes

The winkles loved that picture. It cost me a fiver though. I say if they could guess what it was straight away. My seven old boy got it immediately

4 Likes

To think there are human beings actually riding in that thing is wig stretching

1 Like

Indeed, I read a book recently on the sublime and the beautiful by Kant which was hard work but he describes the sublime as something that effects you emotionally without you realizing it…think when you stand on the edge of a cliff and have that feeling of being drawn off the edge. He divides the sublime into 2 categories mathematic and dynamic so mathematic is this sort of thing, dynamic is more the edge of a cliff scenario. Casper David Friedrich (1774-1840) made paintings about this, he is considered a romantic but I think theres more to it.

3 Likes

Incredible.

1 Like

Kants transcendental work requires some chewing. The way you have tied it is quite neat.

It comes from a desire to understand why I have such an uncontrollably negative reaction to some paintings/painters. I watched a BBC4 program on John Hoyland a few days ago and have been raging ever since…I am hoping to take back control:)

3 Likes

I once punched Beryl Reid in the face for what I thought was no reason, perhaps this explains it.

3 Likes

Not sure if they’re beautiful, but these dirty vehicle art pics are quite clever…

12 Likes

Excellent, the ability to troll you at wll :slight_smile:

2 Likes

https://www.kew.org/kew-gardens/whats-on/chihuly-at-kew-reflections-on-nature?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=osocial&utm_content=carousel-all-creatives&utm_campaign=chihuly&fbclid=IwAR2h9HO7q0GcjrwUwCiZD2_tMy9RBl06UVAKlyelvdhKjMnc8taYQcKBcsg

Well worth a visit.

1 Like