Best way to sell record collection

I’m thinking of selling my record collection which is mainly 70’s & 80’s pop or rock and wondered what’s the best way these days?

Depends on what you want to sell them for. My mate’s a record dealer and would be happy to give you a price, especially as you live nearby.

1 Like

Thanks, at the moment it’s a case of learning what options there are.

1 Like

did this myself recently. Three options really, sell the lot to a dealer, expect half face value and don’t go picking out the best ones or the dealer is likely to show little interest. Sell them individually, price at 70% of discogs if you want a sale. Offer the whole collection on here, should nett you 20% more than a dealer, especially if you ditch the junk.

i did the latter and was happy with the outcome.

4 Likes

Thank you.

Bob is very on target with the above advice. Pricing from Discogs can be problematic unless you are familiar with the various pressings and inconsistencies of first pressings. In addition people are listing on Discogs now even in VG at above the highest price sold en masse - This skews the perceived value rather the same as people listing on eBay at crazy money. Never the less median value Discogs or Popsike would be one way to gauge things.

I guess it really is down to how large the collection is and your own expectations?
If you are prepared to work for it on AA, listing / packing / post office (Means buying packaging) may be profitable or you just might fancy the girl who works in the post office? Alternatively 50% to a dealer who ties their money up for however long and has to factor in 5-10% losses pay tax etc may be simpler?

2 Likes

Would getting a stand at a record fair be worth investigating?
( Caveat emptor, I don’t have a ferking clue whether it is or not. Happy to help. :grinning:)

1 Like

or Car Boot

1 Like

Yes, would likely be cheaper and less competition.

1 Like

…How much is that?

£5 Sir

…I’ll give you 20p.

It’s £5 please.

… I don’t even have 20p. Is 16p ok?

Just finding the correct pressing on Discogs is problematic. I’ve been trying to put my collection on there for a few years and have only managed to get about a tenth of it listed. As for values, they generally seem fair as they are based on the last ten actual sales not prices people are asking for. That said, there can be a lot of out of kilter max values listed.
Then there’s singles :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Record Fair stalls are rented in multiples of 6 ft. Early start is often the case. Dealers will descend sensing fresh meat (Before the public are let in - Same with Boot sales). You will need to price every LP or put out boxes of the same value. Dealers will want to put stuff by until later in the day (When they’ve earned some actual money) They will then come back check condition and put back half of what they pulled. Meanwhile paying customers will come in, these will range from casual browsers to the serious collectors - you’ll know the latter as there will be no trace of hygiene and they will be carrying a military million lumen torch to inspect the grooves.

8 Likes

HaHa. Or personal space. Is that an actual tactic as I’ve been forced away from many a promising box by the overwhelming stench from a leather coated loaner breathing down my neck. :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Thanks for all the advice / tips. I’m too lazy to get out of bed at stupid o’clock to visit a boot fair so that’s certainly out.
The collection isn’t really that big, maybe a couple hundred albums & 12" but would have to do a count to know better. Also about 5 boxes of 7" records as I reduced those some time back.

1 Like

Good decision,

Don’t know what your collection holds but these could be the gems.

1 Like

All this reminds of that deleted scene from High Fidelity.

That’s probably not the right one, but I CBA to watch it to see if it is.

1 Like

If only 200 or so, list the first press or collectibles on here. Then group the rest in bundles of ten, take one pic of all ten and pop on here with a price. Be gone within a week.

4 Likes

About 7 or 8 months ago I thinned out my record collection, selling 300 or so LP’s to a dealer and I got what I considered a fair and reasonable price for them.

Fair dealers certainly are out there.

Listing here offers a bonus of knowing your records went to a good home and you’ll probably have no chargebacks / swapped out returns or non paying buyers

1 Like

80s will be of interest to me…

1 Like