Board Games

Given there appears to be some interest, a thread for board game based shenanigans.

Last year we picked up both Azul and Carcasonne, which the kids both love. At some point during this year we picked up one of the add-ons for Carcasonne which has proved completely forgettable.

This year we’ve bought Catan, which I used to play quite a lot with friends. For some reason the boys seem to be able to play it without it all ending in tears, which is quite a surprise.

1 Like

Playing this with the kids:

Another view:

It is excruciating…

3 Likes

Expecto argumentum…

4 Likes

I cheated so my youngest won (somehow). My lot were chuffed, my sister’s daughter is trying to work out how she didn’t win. I am a bad person.

Nobody suggested having another go. It took ages to play and even longer to put it away.

2 Likes

We acquired Settlers of Catan this year (we add a decent board game to the collection each Christmas). It requires just the right amount of thought imho, so even FoL2 (aged 6) can join in, even if he’s a bit shit at it.

4 Likes

Old school family games are an inheritance worth having

Yup, we’re acquiring quite a collection now. Just need the kids to be a bit older and I can go mental on Arkham Horror and its umpteen expansions. It at least has the advantage of being a team co-op game, so helping small people is part of the vibe.

Co- op were a new genre to me last year. Great for family strand war

They are playing 221B Baker Street now. I have been excluded because I wouldn’t promise not to cheat (after explaining that cheating was mandatory in family board game sessions). It looks like we might be having a go at Whist next. My Dad used to love cheating at that…I’ll definitely have a hand or two of that.

Sushi go is a quick game that we like.

We bought Jaws this year -

And last year was Sagrada -

I’m sure @anon14766838 has a pair of shoes in the same colour scheme as your Sagrada photo Wayne.

2 Likes

I have better

You mean you have all the colour schemes on one shoe, and then in a different order on the other, surely??

3 Likes

Had fun playing this

4 Likes

I’m sold on that purely based on the number of dice it uses.

1 Like

Camel Up (really fun):

Ticket To Ride:

Any Fluxx but I like Star Fluxx, we play this alot:

Pandemic:

3 Likes

3 Likes

You don’t.

1 Like

Was playing Sushi Go with my son and grandson (aged 7) yesterday, You’re right, it’s a great “short” game for all ages !

1 Like