Bob's new wagon

:slight_smile:

1 Like

My old BMW was inspected today for defects and the only thing that came up is that all 4 alloys are bubbling under the paintwork after three years, BMW quality that is. Fings ainā€™t what they used to be.

By comparison my '13 plate 53k mazda 6 feels tight as. Nothing broken no rattles.
No good for you (or me if Iā€™m being picky), the seats are too short offering little in the way of support for long legs.

To add if you want rattles, try a high mileage saab 9-3 by far the worst car ive had. The dash sounded like a safari park on a cold morning.

1 Like

Did you get it washed in a hand car wash place? They use cleaners on the wheels that will fuck the paint over timeā€¦

Washed, that is a new concept. The only time it got washed was when it went into a service at BMW.

Thatā€™ll be it then, if you donā€™t wash the brake dust off frequently, it will etch into the paint and they will need to use a much stronger cleaner to bring them backā€¦

Either way, itā€™s your fault not BMWā€™s :sunglasses:

It was every 4 months.

Wheels washed every 4 months :roll_eyes: I rest my caseā€¦

Apply Poorboys wheel sealant once every 2 or 3 months and jobs a goodun.

To be fair BMW wheels are spectacularly shit.

Why just pick on the wheels?

3 Likes

Lol, I like my X3. To be fair it was free.

1 Like

Free cars are brilliant :+1:

:+1:

Theyā€™re nice cars, but I was disappointed that you werenā€™t in your 911 as I really wanted to have a look at it.
Another time perhaps.

OK, had it (Merc C220d estate) now for nearly two weeks and 1,000 miles;

Good points

• getting 51 mpg on mixed driving for a brand new car
  • much more internal space
  • a lot quieter than the BMW 3 series
  • much more comfortable seat and driving position for me (6ā€™4").
  • more toys, lots more toys
  • reversing camera is great and so are the all around proximity indicators
  • music system is far superior to the std BMW
  • it remembers the settings (hoo-fucking-ray), a vast improvement on the BMW which doesnā€™t.
  • you drive more sedately and slower in a Merc, definitely.
  • cruse control is great
  • handling in the wet is massively better than the BMW.
  • my dog loves it.

Not so good;

• new 9 speed auto gearbox is not as smooth, especially at low speeds, as the old Merc 7 speed (seems like a marketing bastard ploy rather than an improvement)
  • having to use a key rather then the key being in your pocket, stupid I know.
  • as itā€™s new, the bastards at Merc have fucked with the engine to get the emissions right, so itā€™s a bit down on power / delivery compared to the old model I would say. The car feels heavier, more like an E class.
  • if you order one, get the bigger fuel tank, as the standard one is too small for long distance in a day stuff .
  • the control mechanism in the car is to time consuming and takes too long to process things, Merc have removed a lot of buttons and switches from the new cars to save costs, but the computing power and O/S are too slow.
  • engine is definitely not as pokey as the BMW
  • your partner thinks itā€™s an ā€œold mans carā€.
1 Like

What settings Bob?

How do you work that one out?

Your old beemer was 8 speed, no?

My old BMW you had to set the wipers, driver profile and other settings every time you started it, as it went back to Eco and no wipers.

BMW was 8 speed, but my previous Merc C220d was 7 speed, which is what I was comparing it too.

Handling is definitely better in the wet, no sliding / jumping like the BMW. My previous Merc was the same in wet and snow. Handling in the dry is better in the BMW (just).

pfff I run a Lexus and a Kia so Iā€™m golden.

Iā€™ve owned 2 Lexus (an LS and an RX with no issues on either) and 3 korean (a hyundai sonata that was built like a tank, handled like a tank, had a tanks fuel economy and scuffed a bumper when it totalled some vauxhall thing that pulled out of a side road in front of me and 2 kia ceeds which have had issues but the 7 year warranty sorts it all out with no quibbles at all ).

Wouldnā€™t touch another french or german car with a bargepole. Every one Iā€™ve had has been an unreliable money pit. Also Japanese diesels seem to be less than brilliant, certainly the Accord 2.2 ctdi I had was not as reliable as iā€™d been led to believe hondas were (petrol on the other hand iā€™d be ok with).

eyebrows