Boilers

Is that like a dealer having someone else’s name with ‘North’ in it and then being surprised when people confuse the two?

8 Likes

Yes. Obvs.

Like Brighton ‘North,’ aka Hove

Hove is Brighton’s West End

Update on my supposed failed heat exchanger on the 7yr old Worcester Bosch which was detected on a service last month. A second opinion by a competent and trusted engineer today -

“The condense trap is full and blocked and not been cleaned in year. The milk bottle is the dirt from your magnetic filter not been cleaned in a long time ether.
The system could do with a flush.
I also inflated the pressure vessel as it was deflated down to zero”

He says now it’s been serviced properly it seems to be working fine. COWBOYS.

1 Like

I found a huge boiler nerd to service mine. Took him hours, and clearly he loved every minute - he was quite surprised when I didn’t want to stay and watch, and listen to him explain every last bit of what he was doing. There was similar inflation required, although less grot in mine!

He had developed his own detailed checklists that he used for every job, customised to each boiler model. All for £65 as well. He was great, so nice to find someone who really loves his job!

Edit: other people I’ve contacted re servicing have often said that there’s basically fuck all they can check or sort out, they’re best just left until they break, then you fix them if you can. Boiler nerd man is different.

2 Likes

i passed the worcester bosch factory the other day , massive place

fantastic , will you be having a flush sometime ?

I am pondering that. I need to ask him if it will prolong the longevity of the boiler. Despite what he says I can see the boiler failing in a few years (given that it appears to have had a hard life despite me paying for services).

There will also need to be a cost / benefit analysis.

I haven’t and won’t be paying for the service that was(n’t) done in June.

1 Like

I would have thought a flush through would be beneficial. If there was that much crap in the boiler there is probably a lot in the system too so that will end up back in the boiler blocking it up again.

They usually add some treatment to the water to keep it “good” - sure @A_Touch_of_Cloth will know what it is.

1 Like

What he said ^.

A 7 year old boiler really ought to give a good few more years service, especially now you’ve found someone trustworthy to service it. It seems a false economy to save a few quid now when a replacement boiler is going to cost a couple of grand.
Also bear in mind that a decent dose of inhibitor protects not only the boiler but radiators, motorised valves and so on which you wouldn’t necessarily have to fork out for when it’s time for a new boiler.

1 Like

It did have a full flush about 10 years ago. Some of the pipes are embedded in the flats concrete floor which I suspect are rusting causing the continued build up.

It’s not rust if they’re copper. It can be verdigris (which is green) or copper oxide (black). It doesn’t matter much though. It’s still corrosion. What’s going on with the outside of the pipe shouldn’t make much difference to what’s going on on the inside unless, perhaps, there’s some electrolysis. The pipes shouldn’t be embedded in the concrete though. I don’t know if it would be easier to cut the concrete back and sleeve them now or to wait until something fails when it’ll be an emergency job, but might be years/decades away. A_Touch_of_Cloth will know this too.

VB

It depends how old the flats are, black iron pipes were used/concreted into floors after being wrapped in Denso tape. I remember this being done in the 70s.

Wow ! We had some black iron pipe in this place when we moved in, and come to think of it the building does date from the 70’s. 1872, as near as we can tell.

VB

1 Like

In the situ you are talking about with semi corroded pipes in concrete I would steer clear of a ‘powerflush’. You’ll likely do more harm than good.

I would speak to your man who did your good service and he will flush it out with mains water each radiator circuit at a time and the boiler last. A lot more gentle than a full on powerflush and arguably, just as effective.

I would also urge caution just adding inhibitor without having it flushed gently first. Inhibitors can react with the magnetite and become obstructive. Unlikely in yours as you have a magnetic filter, but still possible.

Also, if you start losing pressure again your expansion vessel needs looking at as possibly the diaphragm has perished or the blow off is passing or both.

Invoice in the post.

3 Likes

Yes I did not have a powerflush just the chap put the chemicals in and ran it hot for quite a while and then drained it and put in inhibitor

where’s the resident boiler man when you need him.

My BG330 boiler (re-badged Gloworm) has blown its integrated circuit board. BG cant find a record of its warranty (fitted by previous owner in 2015) and their charges are either

99 quid to fix and 24/month for a year for cover

or

Fixed charges for the repair that start at 70 quid for half hour, 200 quid above that and 400 quid if it takes three hours or somesuch bollocks. Of course the repairer will arrive without the spare part and I will end up paying the cunts half the price of the fucking boiler.

Best course of action I assume is to contact a non BG plumber type and get them to repair.

BG, designed to fuck you off from the get go.

Forget BG, they are crap. Find an independent would be my advice.

1 Like

Yes forget bg, they are rip off merchants , they offer 400 quid off a new boiler and charge thousands more than anyone else to fit