Boilers

Death by a cock punch.

In the interest of accuracy

Relatively poorly paid tradespeople canā€™t afford to live & work in & around London?

Whoā€™d a thunk it?

There may be an au pair shortage next. What will the poor dears do? Ask the maid perhaps?

2 Likes

Yeah you should mention it more.

And what reason did they give for turning off

Weā€™ve all had back experiences along the way, BG do have their issues but so do plenty of tradesmen. It really can be a lottery but the most consistent thing you need is someone to come back if the issue remains or another arrives. More often than not it seems very few get it.

I had my own business and now work for BG. I can see both sides. BG are struggling with a changing marketplace and the quality of engineers and amount of them has dropped to the point where they are actively employing contractors who are not academy maintained.

1 Like

It was her choice apparently. They turned it back on but she was without for a few weeks (unbeknown to us).

A formal complaint was made which they handled terribly. The first person from complaints said ā€œweā€™ve really messed this up apologiesā€, second person then said weā€™ve done nothimg wrong and complaint was rejected. Itā€™s now with the ombudsman.

She would go along with anything, hence we handle everything for her (which was noted on the BG file and which they ignored).

Itā€™s not just that. I have a friend who has always lived in St Albans, heā€™s about 30. Looking to buy a house with his girlfriend. Heā€™s an engineer, sheā€™s an accountant. Despite two decent jobs, that are going to have to move to Luton unless they can convince a parent to stump up a six figure sum.

Could be worse. Iā€™ve a friend in the air travel industry & he also has to live near Luton.

6 Likes

His front room is so small he can only have one speaker and even then it fills most of the the room. :grin:

8 Likes

Iā€™m sorry to hear it.

Itā€™s unusual for the ombudsman to be involved, usually BG will try and resolve to avoid a complaint going that way. The manager must think he has a strong case. I hope he does because more often than not they rule on the side of the complainant.
Which of course is no reflection on your case.

I think youā€™ll find that Luton is a lifestyle choice, not a fall back option.

1 Like

ah sorry i cut it up and took it to the tip :rofl:

yes , i recently tried to get a plasterer and it wasn`t easy . things are booming at the moment and many people having work done to their houses . i was only talking to a chap with a civil engineering partnership today about this and waiting lists for building work

Tories penalise house moves with the stupid stamp duty and this is the result.

We moved into our current house and immediately took out a 20 quid a month corgi homeplan for the decrepit old glowworm boiler. Thank god we did it failed about 5 times, Corgi were great, sent out various local tradesman who fixed the boiler by replacing more and more of it. Including the hot water controller in the airing cupboard. Usually the fix was there an then only once did we have to go without hear for a day or two as they couldnā€™t source the part (some complicated plastic inlet thing that was pissing water everywhere) until after the weekend.
Have a replacement Ideal boiler now that has a service once a year and gets on with it.

Yes if things went smoothly we might have saved a few quid by not having the plan but the ability to just ring one number and have someone on the door a few hours later was worth it. Also, any comeback was dealt with quickly and with minimal fuss, try that with a local trader whos already got your money and is making more off other jobs.

3 Likes

agreed and well worth the money

1 Like

But Corgi was just a certification board, now replaced by Gas Safe. So you get local certified engineers which you can find in the yellow pages etc.

It was New Labour back in the late 90s and early 00s that ramped up stamp duty on residential property sales by introducing higher bands.

It was the tories that went full potato on them, that twat Osbourne.