Boilers

Stamp duty on houses is comic really. Rich people simply shove their houses into an overseas company and sell the shares in that, tax avoided. As a fringe benefit you can also tell the Council Tax people where to go; they can’t collect this from overseas, but they still have to collect your bins.

Yes ‘Corgi’ is now just another plumbing conglomerate AFAICT.
Yes I could indeed not use them and spend my time phoning through the ‘yellow pages’ trying to get a qualified plumber out to fix the boiler. Then I’d have to find the money for their call out fee and then parts and labour if any is needed. I’d also be cold for a few days because he could only see you next tuesday.

However if my boiler goes pop or becomes incontinent I now dial corgi (other boiler insurances are available), go ‘It’s me, the boilers fucked, we’re cold’,
they go ‘Right oh, someone will pop round in an hour or two’,
I go, “How much will that run me then?”
They go, “Fuck all mate, no worries, bye”
and in an hour or two there’s plumbers crack keeping me away from the kitchen.

5 Likes

Just had my boiler serviced, it has been going for 25 years. I asked him, (he has been doing it 45 years)if it needed replacing, what would he buy, and he said Grant. English made, and good old solid engineering.
Oil fired boiler.

Just fitted another Alpha… I’m getting quite a taste for them now. Good cheaper option to a Worcester or Duo Tec and a min 5 year warranty.

Looks solid enough and the tech support is good. The reply when I called earlier about a combustion reading the reply was…‘yes that is within spec, she is just a dirty girl’.

I’m also fully prepared to eat the above words before the year is out. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fancy fitting a boiler on my hotel block? :sob::sob::sob:

Had an Alpha combi replaced last year. It was 6 years old.
Pretty shit really.

No comment on Grant boilers? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Alpha are Italian afaik

They’re oil fired I believe. Friend fits them and nowt else. Tres goode.

1 Like

These are newer models. I generally had the same feelings as you. … but sometimes a cheaper option is needed.

Only fitted a couple so far so time will tell… also there is fuck all in them to go wrong… apart from pcb, fan and gas valve.

Time will tell. I’ll check in regularly for an anecdote update tho… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Currently looking at air-source heating options for the new place, as there’s currently an oil fired boiler in there, which despite having the a new burner unit installed last year is likely to cost us around 2,000€ per year to run, which is frankly a bit steep.

6 years wasn’t too bad then.

We have a barn conversion, and it is a shitty build quality, very leaky, and we are rarely able to get the house above 19c, usually around 17c. In the mornings, it is about 15c.
We use about a tank full a year 2100-2400 ltrs.
This year, just filled up, £1000, but has been less. Not too bad.

I have a Grant boiler on my new house so I am hoping it’s a good one -

I don’t share your very low expectations, 6 years (the last two with loads of issues) is not fit for purpose in my book.

3 Likes

It was a joke based on the fact that its a mechanical product made in Italy akin to a Fiat or Alfa.

1 Like

I love BG engineers. I have always found them very open to bargaining for a much reduced cash payment. Years ago a pair who were doing a £5k CH installation next door were more than happy to fit the same system in my house for £2k.Top chaps :grinning:

Questionable.

Excellent. They spend hours of their own time filling in their tax returns to ensure the NHS and other services don’t suffer.

Don’t you love the black market.

1 Like

New boiler fitted

House now quite toasty, underfloor heating also working, promising.

4 Likes