Boilers

Seem decent boilers from what I’ve heard. Never fitted one mind.

Only thing you need be aware of on combi installs now is the ‘boiler plus’ regs.

Did they fit smart controls or weather/load compensation?

Lot of bell-ends up here flouting the regs.

1 Like

It was boiler plus stuff which made him recommend the Ideal Vogue, the quote for that came with their wireless stat which looks similar to the Nest and had smart control built in.

I don’t have smart controls, but the stat is a wireless one which I can move around to wherever we are, plus, the Intergas boilers regulate based on whether you have your hot tap on full or not and if I remember correctly, it does a similar thing when supplying the rads with hot water etc.

If it transpires this doesn’t meet those regs, is it the installer which would get a slapped wrist or us, the home owners? I’d be able to replace the stat kit with a Nest or similar easily enough, I just wouldn’t ever use the Smart stuff. (I’d possibly use geocaching if any of them support that, though I doubt it.)

It won’t matter in a normal domestic setting but we once had a very bad experience with a wireless stat.

When my mother-in-law was still alive we had a new boiler installed in the flat in Morpeth which Mrs VB used to use when she visited her mum (who was in long-term care). Like practically everything which involves IT (which is practically everything in the world these days, of course) the wireless stat for this boiler was flaky. The boiler had a protection system which, in the event of the stat acting up, turned the heating on full just in case we’d entered the next ice age and there would othwerwise be a risk of the rads and piping freezing and bursting.

Mrs VB used to visit her mum every four or five weeks. As far as we can tell the stat went tits up pretty much as she was slamming the door at the end of one visit. Five weeks later she got back to find the flat very cosy indeed. As you might imagine it would be given that the heating had been on absolutely full blast 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

That was a gas bill and a half.

VB

thanks cragger , we shall see how things turn out . hope it all works out

Sounds like you don’t have anything compliant.

Gas Safe will be policing it apparently. He should have installed it and quoted for it. If asked he will be expected to show a paper trail that he advised you and you refused. Therefore the buck stops with you.

As to what will ever happen? Dunno.

For what very little is it worth…

What happens if you don’t comply?

Installers who fail to install boilers in line with the new regulations could be prosecuted by Building Control, while homeowners who knowingly allow non-compliant work to take place could face fines of up to £5,000.

Didn’t refuse anything to do with the boiler plus stuff, apparently my stat system is compliant, that’s what he told me anyway - though I can’t see how.

Quoted from Intergas’ site:

" 1. The efficiency of the new boiler must be at least 92% ErP

2. Time and temperature controls must be fitted for all gas and oil boiler installations

3. Combi boiler installations, new or replacement, must include at least one of the following technologies when fitted:

· weather compensation

· load compensation

· flue gas heat recovery

· smart control"

Ours has load compensation, so it’s fine.

Currently unblocking a drain the woman and her kid have fucked up while they’re away camping - this may lead to a new thread.

Far be it for me to labour a point… but this is the internet after all so it is kind of expected.

How are you achieving your load comp? Does your controller have that? No boiler I know of has load compensation built in. It can only be achieved with external controllers/sensors.

If it does have inbuilt load compensation then every combi I fit from today onwards will be an Intergas.

That’s what the fitters told me along with the maintenance chap at work.

If it’s wrong, it’s wrong.

I think you may be thinking of the boiler modulating down depending on demand. That is normal operation of condensing boilers.

Load comp is a temp sensor in the building so when you turn your heating on the circulating temp will be lower if the room is warm and hotter if the room is colder.

It’s all a buggers muddle anyhoo. Enjoy your new boiler :slight_smile:

And obviously will lead to me having to fit a nest :joy:

1 Like

I thought that was weather compensation - there’s an outdoor sensor I can buy and plug in (then fit in the appropriate place obviously) to achieve that which isn’t expensive.

I’ll look it up when I get back from buying a plunger and see what it involves.

They are both similar principles. Load monitors the internal temp… weather monitors the external temp.

Remember when we meet and I will regale You with the nest/camera lie-in story.

1 Like

Are you going to be at the Lopwell weekend?

Youbetcha

Lopwell???

1 Like

Lopwell NORTH.

Shh, I’m going to Bognor for it.

1 Like