Brexit - Creating a Cuntocracy - Now with 4d chess option

6 Likes

The government trying to take credit for extra holiday booking protections that came into force today…introduced by the EU.

3 Likes

Why change the habit of the last 40 odd years :-/

2 Likes

2 Likes

IF THE TORIES WERE PLANNING A ROBBERY :joy: ^^^^

No doubt a £30K fine (or thereabouts) will dissuade anyone else from ever cheating in an election or referendum again.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes
1 Like

Jo Maugham QC sitting on the fence about Vote Leave:

It is worth reading down the thread, he gets stuck in about four posts down. He was interviewed on the Today Program on R4 about this stuff today. He also has lots of interesting things to say about Gove, who was at the BBC for an interview at the same time.

I missed Jo but heard Gove. What a pillock. All this ‘we hold all the cards’ nonesense does my head in.

Completely - and knowingly - ignores who buys the fish which are in UK territorial waters (clue: not us) and what rights will we have to fish the CFP waters which have the fish we do want.

Of course, maybe there’s an HMG master plan on how to incentivize consumption of mackerel & chips…

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/d077afaa-7f8a-11e8-bc55-50daf11b720d

2 Likes

I feel more than a little sick now…

My job here is done :grinning:

3 Likes

In the next couple of days, we’ll find out the detail of exactly what is being thrashed out at Chequers. It’s being framed in the press as some kind of unicorn deal that’s going to unite both the wings of the party and isolate the extremist Brexiters, most notably JRM. Liam Fox is supposedly on-board with the draft as are the other attendees.

Of course, with Brexit the devil is in the detail - more so than with any other post war issue we have ever faced.

I wonder though whether this will expose Corbyn’s position as a serious mis-play. He’s had a big opportunity to gamble and re-frame the Labour party as one of Remain. But he boxed himself in the day after the vote by insisting the government trigger Article 50 immediately. Sure, Labour would lose swathes of support in northern England, but Labour has been leaking that for the past few years (to UKIP and others) anyway. They would have undoubtedly picked up new supporters in the midlands and south.

One wonders why he hasn’t taken the risk. Their performance in the polls is lukewarm - typically neck-and-neck or still behind, which is frankly shameful given the record of the incumbent. Labour, Brexit aside, would be out of sight in any other era.

Either someone at central office has crunched the numbers and decided it’s too risky, or Corbyn’s ideology has got the better of him. Either way, I think it’s a lost opportunity that will come back to haunt him.

4 Likes

I think that too much politics is based upon this kind of analysis. The idea of principle is old hat now - even Jezza can’t actually say what he thinks.

I’m still surprised another party hasn’t sprung up.

Once people start getting hit in the pocket and we see job losses,they won’t forgive either side for years.

1 Like

Stable door and bolted spring to mind.

Half of the people who voted leave will be dead by the time we realise the full implications of Brexit. Thanks Mum.

6 Likes

Unfortunately when Brexit bites a new patsy will carry the blame - The red tops in particular will have to find a group or issue to hang the fail on. eg: Economy freefalls due to bankers = 'Immigrants are the root cause of the rot. The obvious target is probably the EU itself. ‘They conspired against us’. (Placing us in the victim position…The underdog, the hard done by…)

3 Likes

Guessing “millenials” or whatever the generation after that is called will also be a target. Voted in large numbers to remain, therefore their fault for not “getting behind Brexit”.