Brexit - Creating a Cuntocracy - Now with 4d chess option

In the event of a No Deal there’ll be lots of horrendous red tape for small & large import/export businesses to contend with where previously there was none in dealing with EU customers/suppliers.

It appears that the UK will continue to wave through incoming CE marked items at least in the short term although it’s unclear & perhaps unlikely that the EU will be accepting CE marked goods from the UK as our testing houses will no longer be accredited.

I wasn’t sure about test house accreditation. ISTR that test houses are accredited by whichever authority has been appointed to do so by the state in question. So Chinese manufacturers, for example, can go to a test house in China accredited by some agency of the Chinese state. If that house says that the equipment is compliant then a CE mark can be slapped on and the EU will accept it without any further investigation. Could an independent UK not just accredit its (our) existing test houses ? Indeed, who has been accrediting them up to now ?

VB

I’m basing this on a paragraph about the CE approval of medical devices although I can’t see why consumer electronics would be regarded any differently.

We’ll just figure out another way of doing it, like the Chinese do, or in fact every other country in the world who imports into the EU.

Other than Trade issues, I don’t see any of these lower level technical issues posing a major risk to the UK. It’s all entirely manageable.

Sadly I’m old enough to remember the shit & hassle involved in taking goods into & through Europe on the old T documents. The thought of going back to that nonsense and it being applied to every importer & exporter is dreadful & certainly isn’t going to be manageable in just 200 days time.

Bringing stuff in from & shipping to outside of the EU is hassle enough. And that’s for goods without a limited shelf life.

1 Like

Medical devices are covered by the Medical Devices Directive and I think that directive does explicitly require that Notified Bodies be involved in the conformity assessment.

Consumer electronics are covered by a different directive - the Low Voltage Directive - and the documentation for the latest version of that says, right at the bottom of the page,

The new LVD does not require notified bodies to assess if products to be placed on the market comply with the applicable EU legislation. The manufacturer alone is responsible for determining this by carrying out conformity assessment procedures.

As I understand it this is the bit which allows manufacturers to carry out their own conformity assessments. They can use an external test house to do that job if they want, and if they do then that should provide them with a very strong defence in the case of someone claiming that their assessment was dodgy. But they don’t have to do it. Instead they can do the job themselves and plant their own CE mark on the kit and if someone wants to challenge that then the manufacturer had better be able to show they’ve done the job as required.

VB

1 Like

Yes that’s much as it was. Besides the LVD there are other directives that also pertain to putting electronic items on the market such as EMC compliance, RoHS & being member of a WEEE scheme.I get items tested by an accredited test house in Asia & then put that certification into a ‘Technical File’ I keep here for each product which also includes other information including owners manuals, schematics etc. It’s essentially to show that as a manufacturer/distributor you are acting in a responsible way.

I’ll have to take a closer look at what they’ve published now & see what might need to be done to continue supplying European customers items that meet their required standards in the event of No Deal.

1 Like

Yes. I get the impression that in the end this comes down to the level of challenge by the customers and/or their state’s official bodies. I’d expect it would be regarded as very bad form for one EU member to challenge products from another one. But I wouldn’t be surprised if products from ‘dodgier’ parts of the world weren’t scrutinised more often (except for here, of course, where the government doesn’t even want to pay for a police force or health service, let alone inspectors to check product safety).

ISTR (decades ago ?) a government in France trying to protect their electronics industry against Japanese competition. They’d signed agreements which meant they weren’t supposed to obstruct trade. So they couldn’t just reject imports. But they did insist that every consignment come through one single inspection facility which they based somewhere remote and inaccessible (some tiny airstrip down in the south of the country, I think). This resulted in the dispute being resolved quite quickly.

VB

Well worth a listen.

1 Like

People will just buy the CE stickers from eBay and stick them on the goods like always.

3 Likes

Jonathan from Brexit Central was out of his depth

It all sounds like a complete and utter implosion if common sense. Fuck you racists! Threatening nap time is a never forgive action

“For two years, the government has been implementing a significant programme of work to ensure the UK will be ready from day 1 in all scenarios, including a potential ‘no deal’ outcome in March 2019.”

From here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-governments-preparations-for-a-no-deal-scenario/uk-governments-preparations-for-a-no-deal-scenario

Wow, what a fucking car crash that was !! Sweet baby Jesus

As Gavin Esler points out: how the actual fuck are we having this level of debate two years after the referndum

I do like how Esler has gone full Peter Finch in Network over the Brexit issues, chapeau

2 Likes

2 Likes

It´s hard to understand that the UK, as a country with a government and electorate full of wankers, still needs to import sperm…
If all those shouting ‘take back control’ would screw themselves instead of the country, the UK would be less fucked up.

[https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/24/flow-of-danish-sperm-into-the-uk-could-be-slowed-by-no-deal-brexit-7877735/]

3 Likes

Once sperm donors could be identified and children had a right to trace them, the supply of donors dried up overnight.

Is imported sperm an immigration issue the Express & Mail hadn’t yet cottoned onto?
There’ll be no stopping them now.

4 Likes

Coming over here knocking our women up! :rage: