Broadband only deals

Not sure I’m that bothered tbh, their router is atrocious, and Claire has had multiple drop outs while teaching the last couple of days. Speeds are right down too, around 50mbps, so half what we’ve been getting. I’ll give it a go, but Plusnet are also offering a £70 gift card, which is nice.

We’ve been with plusnet for around 2 years, no issues at all.

1 Like

Seen another deal with Sky. Includes unlimited calls, but the small print says calls are over WiFi.

Does this mean I only have to plug my phone base unit into their router for it to work, or do I have to buy something new?

That sounds more like for a mobile. Using your WiFi/broadband rather then cellular

I can’t find an explanation in their FAQs.

Just this:

“Internet-based calls means the phone calls are made through the internet/Wifi, rather than through a regular landline or mobile network.

If your broadband power fails you won’t be able to make any calls.”

No this is not for mobile it is for your land line.
On the new Sky Q your router plugs in to your landline and your phone plugs in to your router.
If you connect your phone direct to the landline it doesn’t work.

That is how mine is set up anyhow.
In use you don’t notice any difference.

1 Like

If it were up to me, we’d ditch the landline altogether, we have unlimited minutes on our mobiles, but we have to keep it because of aged relatives reasons.

2 Likes

Me too
I have two dinosaur friends who don’t have mobiles and they are the only people who ever call me on it.
As I moved recently they are also the only two people who have the number.
They don’t call that often because of bloke reasons and the phone is out of sight behind the tv.
Everytime they ring It takes me a moment to work out what the fuck that starnge noise is?

2 Likes

I did investigate not haveing a landline number at all but the deals were all cheaper with one rather than without. I also moved my mobile deal to Sky ona SIM only deal.
Works out at £7.00 a month

1 Like

We have a VOIP landline for £3/month
You don’t have a landline, calls to that number get routed to an app on your mobile
We use Voipfone

It gets to the mobile via WiFi/broadband at home or office etc, or via mobile data out and about so it’s permanently available but your relatives phone your old landline number at landline rates

2 Likes

Rob, we use Aquiss for broadband. It’s fibre to the house (so depends on availability) and they provide no kit, but you can call the MD direct if you want to discuss things or have a problem as they are based in the Uk and are small. They can’t match the gigabit prices but up to about 150mb they are competitive.

I have a ubiquiti erx router at £50 and a tp link WiFi mesh setup at £150.

We have 80mb and it easily handles 2-3 video calls and Netflix hd at the same time plus 4 phones and 2 tablets, 2-3 computers…

They use the Openreach network? Or can they access the Virgin network?

With Openreach we have fibre to the box down the road (not far away) then normal line to the house. They were doing some work in the road last year so might well have uprated. We used to be with BT and then Talk Talk using that and it was fine, plenty quick enough for Netflix etc. The kids don’t do online gaming so I don’t think bandwidth is going to be an issue.

We currently have Virgin which is fibre to the house, and speeds have dropped recently, to around 50mbs but it doesn’t appear to have caused a problem. Claire has had a few drop outs while teaching online, but it might be a problem elsewhere, something to do with MS teams.

Only virgin can use virgin fibre. Everyone else has some dependency on openreach, from at least the green cabinet to your house. You’re choosing billing and support.

Personally, I had little issue with (whisper it) talktalk . Pretty fast and reliable and miles cheaper than the rest.

The voip option means you don’t need a landline but whether it’ll actually save you much money is questionable.

1 Like

virgin here fiber to the cabinet & coax to the house.

My neighbour works for OpenReach - there is a good reason he still chooses VM.

1 Like

We didn’t have a problem with Talk Talk, changed to BT to get BT Sport, then when that finished, Virgin were offering the best deal. I’ve let it run over a bit so it’s now expensive for what we’re getting, if I wanted to pay the same amount to Sky, for instance, I’d be getting a lot of TV over and above what we’re getting now.

However, we need to save a bit of cash for the moment so it’s just going to be decent broadband and phone for the time being.

@Kevin I just did a search for broadband only, no phone, and it was more expensive! Weird.

1 Like

I’ve just talked to sky about tv and they offered me fibre to the box and beat the BT offer I had recently.
And said they would cover up to £100 cancellation fees.
So my £24 quid 50mbps BT fibre then copper to house is now
Sky fibre to box, 70mbps and £20 a month. They lobbed in the boost option and credited the whole amount as a lump sum to make it free.
Sky pay 100 quid towards my cancellation fee which means I’ll have to stump up about twenty for the switch. Installation of the fibre to box is free.

Pays to ask.

Sky are pretty good at customer retention in my experience. Always willing to do a deal. Which reminds me…

Renewal time soon.

Anyone heard of or used this lot?

Time to change broadband supplier. Does anyone know anything about Hutchinson 3, 5g home broadband?