Building a house extension

Some decent builders I know are using wooden framed extensions and attaching them to brick built homes. Much quicker and cheaper construction. They use a company in North Wales who supply the kit. I would have considered this for the extension if the existing garage’s foundations were not strong enough to support another storey.

1 Like

The days where extending a house being cheaper than moving to a bigger one are rapidly diminishing.

Unless I knew how to do the work myself, and had builders with many verifiable recommendations, I wouldn’t even be tempted to start a significant project, let alone put a deposit down.

Decent competent builders are the exception rather than the norm. Unless you know a good one, I’d save for another house.

6 Likes

This. Is. Correct.

After these replies clearly the way to go is to build it yourself. Hire a JCB, get some bricks and cement and you are off.

4 Likes

Hmmm…but what to build it from?

2 Likes

no laughing at the back…

1 Like

Just take the gabions a bit higher and stick a flat roof on it, no one will notice :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Grass roof, fancy door

2 Likes

I think a huge amount depends on the builder, but it can be very difficult to tell in advance. When we had to redo the roof here, the builders did it on time and under budget, which I was seriously impressed by. They worked fucking hard too, in some really quite unpleasantly hot weather.

3 Likes

To all, I really appreciate your insights guys, thank you.

When is the tent coming?

1 Like

Any update pics?

Nothing terribly exciting tbh, it’s mostly been roof stuff on the lower section of the house, and that’s been going much slower too. Also been having to spend quite a bit of time on garden stuff as the plants are on more of a deadline for going in than things like roofing and other building bits.

One relatively recent photo:

15 Likes

Excellent, so inspiring, coming along eh? - Bravo!

When does the Channel 4 series start?

2 Likes

Can’t be fucked to read the thread, but just in case it’s not been said or needs repeating - do a proper costing (assume 100% more than any quote you get), then check local comparable property prices on Rightmove to see what value you might be adding, then see if it’s cheaper/better investment to just move. Seriously.

1 Like

The outstanding message I think I’ve ever got from friends who have had building work done is always assume it will cost double what the quote is.
At this time the cost materials is very high. Think carefully my friend.

2 Likes

I’ve mixed views on this. You’re unlikely to find exactly what you want in another house so weigh up how much that is worth, especially if you are really not likely to move again.

2 Likes

This is true. However, it is typically much cheaper and quicker to refurbish and refinish than to build. I wouldn’t advise against doing cosmetic work if the footprint of a new house is basically what you are after. The costs of moving are not insignificant though.

1 Like