Car Wants (maybe once, but now just anything Jim can find on the internet. šŸ™„)

Heā€™s addressing the point that SUVs are a marketing gimmick and are otherwise devoid of real technical merit - versus a hatchback that has the same usable internal volume and overall size, they are inevitably worse in most areas - materials consumption, fuel consumption/pollution, driving dynamics, braking distances, road wear-and-tear, &c.

It may be argued that they are only fractionally worse, but that has to be multiplied by 10s of millions worldwide.

Your points are also true, but they donā€™t address his.

3 Likes

Should deffo do this too.

Agree with that as a general principle.

You can make a (lesser) case about why sports performance cars on public roads etc, what real merit do they have as transport etc.

Its when you get to the so-what bit where it becomes more interesting. As I say, ā€˜Ifā€™ its about the environment then its a bit more complicated than just pointing at one group of motorists when the real opportunity is surely reducing the total number of cars on the road and how frequently and far they are driven.

But I accept thatā€™s a more nuanced argument to rant about succinctly!

Thereā€™s a ton of ways we can improve matters, though kind of ironic that you mention driving-less on the day that wholesale axing of unprofitable public transport routes is being discussed in the news!

One I donā€™t hear much about is keeping older cars on the roads longer - and by that, I mean making maintaining, and even perhaps, upgrading them easier and cheaper. For decades manufacturers have made construction ever-more unitary, the units ever-less serviceable, and the servicing ever more difficultā€¦

Obviously some of that devolves down to the need to package more stuff in less space, reduce weight, &c, &c, but some of it is profit-driven. E.g. if you were to scratch-build a new car from OEM parts the cost would be many orders of magnitude greater than just buying new. This serves to illustrate the disproportionate levels of profit being leveraged - and making parts unaffordable is one reason why many cars on the road are running badly and thus polluting more while other carsā€™ end-of life is premature.

A longer and easier service-life means less of the energy and materials required for car production are wasted producing new ones.

Not great, of course, for current car-maker business models, but thatā€™s where real change is neededā€¦

1 Like

Yeah Hel has been banging on about this for ages, sheā€™s convinced sheā€™d rather make her current car last as long as possible vs buying a new one.

Unnecessary car journeys are a bigger sin for me that what theyā€™re being taken in. Arenā€™t the estimates something like 1 in 5 journeys are unnecessary or something like that.

That is the only acceptable response, peon.

My issue with SUVs is they are pointless, they do nothing better than any existing style of car and they drive the industry and consumers in the total opposite direction to where they should be going - which is smaller and lighter.

(I didnā€™t mention anything about the sorts of people that drive themā€¦ you brought that up :wink: )

I think industry and consumers should be driven in the direction of fewer cars and fewer journeys as the priority, but I accept that is harder to do at scale.

1 Like

Minimising impact is not like medieval indulgences where 12 postings of falafel on Instagram would get you enough credit for a mum truck.

I suppose the smartarse response is ā€œdefine unnecessaryā€, but itā€™s true no matter how you sliceā€™nā€™dice it. One reason why mine rarely leaves the drive.

Iā€™m not disagreeing with the principle that smaller and lighter would be better but the fact is that the public donā€™t want smaller and lighter. The industry is simply responding to demand.

People believe that bigger vehicles better protect their precious offspring which may well be true especially in the event of oneā€™s vehicle being smashed into by a massive SUV driven by an out of control wankstain. :grinning:

I think that it isnā€™t. My understanding is that crash outcomes for SUVs are worse than smaller cars, both for occupants and pedestrians

3 Likes

That seems counter-intuitive but Iā€™m happy to defer to your superior knowledge. It does beg the question of why SUVs are so popular.

Because they are fucking ace, still doesnā€™t excuse the ugly ones made by so called premium brands though.

Yep. Itā€™s partly due to the slightly poorer vehicle dynamics, but much more to the false sense of security they engender in their drivers (Karen, Fat Karen, Karen-with-the-limp, Angry Karen, Morbidly-obese-Karen, That-slut-Karen-no-one-speaks-to, and Karen, daughter-of-Karen).

3 Likes

https://www.motortrend.com/news/are-bigger-cars-safer

The inherent robustness of the car being very different to whether they are driven safely etc

Lol, so SUVs are driven in a cunty manner.

Who knew? :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Yeah cuntz drive like cuntz.

When Hel worked in recovery she was always having to explain to BMW owners who had driven through floods, snow etc and got stuck, that despite them believing that they had bought the ā€˜Ultimate Driving Machine tmā€™ that in reality they had massively overestimated the capability of the car based on magical marketing (and their own ego).

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Motoring horrors aka Edd wants

7 Likes