Career Choices. Well, that escalated quickly

Just needs a straw hole for his beer

I loved Engineering. I was a sponsored Electronics Grad with BAe and went on to become an RF Engineer, working on designing millimetric guidance systems R & D, for 8 years.

Fantastic work for the only company I ever wanted to work for.

Unfortunately, there was no money in it, so I had to move out of Engineering.

Shit happens, I guess.

1 Like

Excuse me, I am here you know.

We thought you’d gone to bed after Rum, Sodomy & The Lash :grinning:

On my way.

No it doesn’t, there’s always an arsehole involved.:disappointed:

Unfortunately, I listened to my prick of a careers officer, which led to 20 years of gradually ramping up stress levels and never feeling I was doing what I wanted to do. Some of the stuff I did, especially for the MoD was worthwhile, possibly made a difference, but was ultimately unfulfilling.

It’s only in the last couple of years, when it’s too late for all sorts of reasons, I sussed out that I should have been making stuff for a living, and really, as long as there’s a bit left over for colourful vinyl and half decent booze after the bills are paid and the fridge has food in it, so what if I can’t afford to go to St Moritz or the Bahamas?

4 Likes

Very much this

2 Likes

I never wonder why anyone retires early - I just envy them…

3 Likes

Life is FAR more important than work

7 Likes

Yes. The truest of true things. Shame it only truly sinks-in when we’re old…

1 Like

I keep trying to drum it into my kids,if you can get a job you enjoy/love you have kind of cracked it. Sod working 50 years in a job you hate just because it pays better

8 Likes

The key to happiness right there :+1::+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Sometimes easier said than done when there are mouths to feed and bills to pay!

Sentiment is right, though.

1 Like

Of course I’m sure we have all done shitty jobs to pay the bills

Would just hate to see my kids get tied up in a hefty mortgage where you are under constant stress and have to tolerate a wanky job for 50 years through fear of losing everything

GLWT - explaining to kids why consumerism is a trap of lies we walk into willingly and never leave, even though we’ll die empty and unsatisfied…

Yep, one of many reasons why I have no kids of my own…

2 Likes

So true, although most of the current younger generation will struggle to even get a mortgage.

3 Likes

Yes, we all have options in life. You just have to choose the route you want to take

Me too, Lauren wants to be a vet, has done forever and is smart enough to do it, but I’m really worried about the competition for places. But I suppose the study path she’s going to follow would work for being a doctor, and she’s comfortable with techy stuff too, so she’ll find something that fits.

Ellie I’m more worried about, she’s fairly clever but shit at converting schoolwork to exams, she has a vague idea that she’d like to join the RAF and do something engineeringy, but the only thing she shows any real interest in is stupid fucking American youtubers, crappy teen TV and the most fucking godawful boy bands. She actually reminds me a bit too much of me, albeit with shit taste in music, which doesn’t bode well.

I actually did the “If you’re not doing something worthwhile by the time you’re 18, you’re out of this house!” speech the other night :neutral_face:

1 Like

My niece wanted very much to be a vet & had to work extremely hard to get onto the degree course. Since qualifying she has worked in several vet practices and is utterly disenchanted by the actuality of working in the ‘industry’. So I’d strongly recommend that your daughter talks to some (preferably young) vets & finds out more about what it’s really like before committing to it as a career path.

2 Likes