Careers - Restarting

Government science does (or at least, did). You’d never become Department Director (~1 person in a few hundred achieves that) but you could reach the level immediately below if you were smart enough. You did have to be able to work collaboratively, and often to worry about money (depending on how much kit was needed to realise your ideas). But if you were really not very good at coping with other people’s internal issues then this route was probably the best one to pitch for.

At one point I was managing seven or eight direct reports. And actually that went quite well, because they were pretty much all self-propelled, capable people (mostly that was my good luck - I can’t take any credit for it). Over time I managed to move myself away from that until eventually I was responsible only for myself. Then I was approached by a manager in another department and asked if I’d mind doing a bit of mentoring of one of his more junior staff. This man had been discontented about his career path for several years. He didn’t seem to know what he wanted. He was negative about everything that was offered/suggested to him and, worst of all, he was convinced that the organisation was working to get rid of him. His manager was hoping that talking with someone completely independent might convince the guy to see things more positively. He and I had one session where I thought we were just establishing the basics - trying to crystallise what he thought the issues were. We agreed to meet again in 3-4 weeks when he’d had a chance to reflect. When a month had gone by and I hadn’t heard anything I asked his manager if he was going to get back to me. “Oh”, he said “shortly after the meeting with you he resigned and said he wanted to leave with immediate effect. So he’s gone.”. So much for my people skills.

VB

4 Likes

There is an alternative. You seem to have a good job which you can do well albeit with bits you don’t like. How about identifying what you do want to get out of life or what you enjoy doing and just looking at your job as a means of funding that? You have already identified the possibility of children/househusband and your job is flexible - that will be useful if children do happen. Stick with it and get passionate about something else other than your job at least until you identify something you do want to do.

1 Like

Valuable suggestion, but I’m sure you meant it as a reply to @hoopsontoast rather than me :wink:.

VB

Rob - I worked for many years as a design draughtsman and ended up falling into a H&S role that also included facilities management. I mostly enjoyed the CAD design.

I can think that (sort of) going back to your roots and finding a CAD design role is worth considering. There are many hi tech companies in the Oxford area.
Presumably you know something about high vacuum, lasers and low temperature.

https://www.totaljobs.com/job/mechanical-design-engineer-cad/stfc-job91711096?src=search&page=1&position=3&WT.mc_id=A_PT_CrossBrand_Jobsite&searchCriteria=CAD+Design&searchLocation=Faringdon&source=jobsite

There always used to be loads of jobs similar to the above.

2 Likes

I cannot work the reply function - I can’t find out how to include the post one is replying to.

Oh - as a former govt scientist, I agree your observation about ascending the career ladder with no managerial responsibility.

Just got the reply arrow in the post you want to reply to.

Just highlight the text you want to reply to, and then you have the option to quote

I’ve followed the hobby to job route twice; once badly and currently successful. I left after the first year of University in 1985 to become the next Nick Faldo (spoiler alert: I wasn’t). Not only did I not make it but I was so out of love with the sport that I didn’t play for nearly 10 years afterwards. I’ve been a software developer now for over 25 years and enjoy it more now that I ever have. I guess the moral of this is that you will never know if following a passion to be a career is the right one or not until you do it. Be thankful that you are in a position to even consider it.

1 Like

30 (or a couple more) years here. Bored now :grinning:

That didn’t work

That might have worked

1 Like

indeed

If replying to a post, it will quote the whole post. Alternatively select text and click, which will quote the selected text.

Lol, all these years on here and I’ve never noticed that icon/function.

3 Likes

Wonderful. Thank you all for your help.

It doesn’t appear in my browser. :slightly_frowning_face:

DARK I say very DARK

Thanks guys, sorry for the late reply, its been a lovely sunny day here so I needed to crack on with a job on the car before it rains again!

Without going into to much detail, I don’t have a technical background (art based) so that pretty much rules me out of any CAD role. This is one of the issues I find, where pretty much all of my skills are self taught and hands on but without any real qualifications to back it up.

The Exhibition Design and Management is something I really enjoyed although this really is the kind of role that requires a lot of travelling which is something I’d like to avoid, if possible.
Photography, from the product side could work, I’ve been recommended it before and done a few little bits while at University, all un-paid but really enjoyed it.

As asked, I have started to make a list of skills, experience, likes and dislikes. Lets see where I get to!

Cheers, Rob

If the pressure isn’t their on the money then starting your own business is an option?

I did, found it really hard worm but really rewarding, sold it 4 years later when I had done all I could and made money. I considered doing it again, but want an easier life atm

4 Likes