Cartridge advice

In fairness, his statement predates the ART1000.

If Rob doesn’t t want it can I take it please

1 Like

Hi Guys, I’m having an issue with the Micro Seiki and can someone sense check the following…

I have the Micro Seiki with the standard arm, a new Audio-Technica AT-LH15/OCC Headshell and an Audio Technica AT-33PTG/II.

I bought the AT33PTG/II used but tried it on my Rega P9 and working fine.

Tested with my F-117 Phonostage for both the Micro Seiki and Rega P9 so thats all working fine.

I am just not getting any signal out of the Micro Seiki. Just a low level hum.

Double checked and the colour coded tags are all matching up.

First, I tested with my multimeter on the tone setting just to check the signal was getting through from the cartridge to the RCA connectors on the end of the tonearm cable, all fine after I found one of the Phono sockets signal cable had snapped, so re-soldered that back on and all OK.

I have now tested the resistance between the cartridge (taken with the tags attached to the cart pins from the headshell) to the RCA Phono connection on the end of the tonearm cable:

White Tag to Black RCA - 4.6 Ohms
Blue Tag to Black RCA - 14.0 Ohms
Green Tag to Red RCA - 1.3 Ohms
Red Tag to Red RCA - 10.6 Ohms

Seems to be quite a bit of variation but it shows the signal is getting through from the cart to the phono socket.

I’m stumped!

Sure it’s not contact resistance from the meter probes? If the plug surfaces are dirty it could cause these results. They should be pretty close to zero (or at least whatever value you get when the meter probes are shorted together)

Shorting the probes gives me 0.1 Ohms.

OK, then I’d expect the values to be close to that. Are you able to get a good contact, especially at the tag end?

I’ve just tried again and I get the same results within 0.1 Ohms of the inital test.

Ok, sounds like the solder connections to the plugs/tags may have deteriorated. Perhaps try redlining them with fresh solder/flux.

Oh, just realised it has a detachable headshell. More likely that those connections are dirty/worn.

Well the headshell is brand new so thats all shiny, the 4-pins in the tonearm were a bit dull so I have cleaned them with some switch cleaner on the end of a cotton bud and they look a bit better but stil no signal whatsover, just a low level buzz.
Wiggling the tonearm cable around I get some low level ‘cracks’ but its not like its a dodgy connection and the sound comes through at all.

So you have continuity between tags and phono sockets, albeit poor, but no sound?

Yes. This is why I am stumped. I can’t figue it out.

What are you plugging the Micro-Seiki into?

The Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk phonostage. I’m using this with the P9 and its working fine.

Dunno then. Those resistance readings are a bit suspicious, though. Would be good to isolate them down to a more specific part of the wiring.

Probably mentioned it,but did you take headshell off and try from just the 4 arm pins to RCA’s?

1 Like

If your checking continuity then the reading should drop to the same as that achieved when touching the probes together. Try adjusting the test point so that when probes are touching the readout is zero. That way when you do the continuity check if the readout value doesn’t plummet down, then you have found your problem point.

Thanks guys, it appears that the Phono sockets need reterminating as the ‘ground’ of the coaxial cable has snapped from the RCA connector. My ham fisted attempt at reterminating them myself will only end up making the cable shorter and shorter! :rofl:

Anybody local to Oxford/Swindon who has skills? :grinning:

@Valvebloke ?