Carving bodies and necks

A really good guitarist can make any instrument sound fantastic.
A crap guitarist will sound just as shit custom shop as he or she will on an Argos £99 fender copy.
Pride of ownership is a big part of it and having the money to burn. I reckon very few pub band (serious) guitarist will carry around and perform with anything fancy for fear or it being bashed up.

But really you’ll need to ask that question to serious guitarist, I am not one*, everyone has their own reasons.

*I haven’t picked up a guitar to play in well over a month.

Thanks. I guess it’s not too dissimilar to sports kit - e.g. customised tennis racquets, etc. Someone skillful will do well with most kit, but may want something to eek out that extra % performance or if they have a particular need. And maybe just fancy something tailored for them.

That said, there definitely is a thing with guitar ownership separate to playing. I know two people that like collecting guitars but neither really play them (and frankly, if I had the money, I’d love a Benedetto, they look gorgeous, although I can’t play at all (though I’d tell myself I’d get one and learn)).

I remember buying a guitar for my lad, got it from a fella at work who played in various local bands in Bristol. Took it to a guitar shop (turns out to be one of the more well known dealers for collectibles) and he asked what bands my lad was playing in. None said I, he’s just learning and would appreciate it if you could give it a once over for me. He plugged it in, played a few chords, harmonics etc, looked up and said it was perfect and would stay like that for a long time and did I want to sell it. I fluked and bought well apparently. It’s a Peavey T60, still going strong.

3 Likes

This is nice, only £11k with the vat

Not sure I’d take it out of the display cabinet, never mind swing it around in the corner of a pub.
The joke is that dentists buy PRS guitars.

1 Like

That is beautiful!

What colour and finish are you thinking for yours?

This thread and your previous project inspired me to keep my eyes open for something as I have never owned a Tele before, I did have a Strat back in the day but I never gelled with Fenders for some reason. I had been reading a lot of good things about the Mexican made Player series Teles so today I collected this. It’s the twin split humbucker HH model so should suit my Gibson leanings better than the standard single coils.

5 Likes

I was thinking the same. Are you going for a solid colour or going to let some grain show through. It’s got to be the first option for the easy life :smile:

It’ll be an oil finish so the grain is visible, maybe a stain to darken it a little.

Not thought that far ahead yet tbh.

It’s going to have a black pickguard that I’ll have to modify for a pair of P90s.

3 Likes

Nice. I’m not keen on the standard single coils either. HBs and P90s work well in Telecasters.

I avoided teles for 30yrs, bought a used Mexican one (with a HB in the neck) on a whim a couple of years ago during the very first covid lockdown. I like the shape, it feels comfortable to play sitting down, more so than LPs imo.

1 Like

I posted this in another thread a while ago.
The guitarist lent his guitar against the amp when they did the obligatory walk off and on again to do the ‘encore’ so I snapped this with my phone
Belongs to Ian Felice of the Felice Brothers and he plays it rather well.
I think the guitar could tell a tale or two

6 Likes

I’ve got a 1987 Guild mahogany acoustic guitar - they make some lovely instruments :+1:

That’s a cool guitar.

Fret polishing is a slow laborious process. Masking tape over the fretboard, (having sliced the tape in ever thinner strips as the fret spacing reduces up the neck).
Rub the frets with 320, 400, 600. 800 and 1000 grit paper, go careful as the nickel alloy fret material is soft.
Once the filing and sanding scratches are removed, some Autosol and a Dremel make reasonably light work to refine the finish to a brightly polished shine.

20220302_190955

Routing control and pick up cavities, in my head this was 30mins work, 2+ hours later…

The centre line of the guitar had moved marginally, approx. 1mm at the scale length point (Fender scale is 25.5" from the front of the nut) as a result of routing the neck pocket. That isn’t a problem and to be expected I guess, but it did mean having to remeasure and mark out again.

I bought a ready made template for the P90 pickups I’m going to install. I also have a template for the control cavity. Unlike the neck pocket where I fashioned a template to fit my hand made neck, these cavities are not critical when it comes to dimensions +/- 1mm is fine.

Pickup template secured to the body

20220305_135655

Forstner bit to hog out some material, making it easier for the router.

20220305_141014

20220305_142601

An f’ing climb cut with the router - you twat.

First and last time that happens I’m sure. Luckily I will get away with it - it’ll be covered by the pickguard! Will add some filler at some point. TF I didn’t bugger up the other one.

I ordered a mat black pickguard in the week for a standard telecaster. It needed modifying to fit the lager size pickup. Used the template to increase the narrow opening.

Starting to accumulate hardware, keeping the postman busy.

Lots more faf to come, including drilling a good number of holes, a load of sanding and scraping the glue residue and general grime from the fretboard. Exciting stuff.

17 Likes

Christ, that really is a labour of love.

Also a voyage of discovery I think.
Thanks for sharing such an ambitious project Graham.

1 Like

For the stupid amongst us, could anyone explain what makes an electric guitar good please? I picked up a fair bit about violins as an ex worked in the field for a while, but I know nothing about these.

I imagine that balance and feel is more important than the resonance profile, as it’s all close miked, is that right? Does the body have any contribution to the sound at all?

It is all about ‘the action’

(This exhausts my entire knowledge of guitars)

In no particular order

Decent fret work
Pickups you like the sound of
A neck that feels good
A body shape that is comfortable
A decent set up can turn a crap guitar into an excellent one.

Really that’s a question for a guitar forum.

2 Likes

Wasn’t that the keyboard?

1 Like