Christchurch

Nowadays everyone wants to be like Singapore

1 Like

so true , apparently this guy only recently got his gun license but how they will reform matters i dont know

I would imagine a policy similar to that used to clear firearms out of Oz following the Port Arthur massacre will be used. I was very surprised just how prevalent gun ownership is in NZ. I suspect there will be zero tolerance for assault rifles now so expect to see Kiwi Gammon venting their apertures in indignation…

There certainly are lots of gun-owning kiwis, and they have their share of hunting accidents.
The only time I’ve felt uneasy over there was up at the top end, kiwi redneck country. Other half went into an outdoor store to buy a new headtorch and wondered what the awful squealing noise was. Turned out to be a video of a pig hunt on the shop’s widescreen video. Place was full of shotguns, rifles and ammunition.
I took a photo of a truck with, to me, an amusing logo on the side - driver came charging over threatening to break my camera, managed to calm him down by saying that I was British and was just interested in their way of house moving (put the house on a flatbed and drive to new location) - phew.

It seems that Anning is quite an unpleasant character (understatement). Anning got elected via nomination by the One Nation Party (very racist) on 19 first preference votes when the incumbent was declared ineligible as he held dual nationality:

He left One Nation to switch to Bob Katter (extremely gammon and red of neck) Katter’s Australian Party (barking mad and bigoted), but was fired for being too extreme

In short, he is a racist belm voted for by 19 folks of similar ilk (I presume he ate the crayon before he could vote for himself). He is unrepresentative of even the red necks in Qld.

1 Like

10 Likes

rather more postive note

4 Likes

It seems that racist pillock Anning is likely to have the book thrown at him for his comments following Christchurch and his assault on the kid who egged him.

Meanwhile, ordinary Australians are letting him know what they think (forcefully):

(Fairly industrial language here if that sort of thing upsets you)

1 Like

Last night was spent going through reports of racism faced by my Muslim staff since Christchurch.
We had 13 reports of racist abuse. Some of the quotes, “Serves you right”, “It’s only what you deserve”, the classic, “go back to where you come from”, and the reprehensible, “Now you know how we feel !”
This from 6 members of staff in less than 24 hours. All unprovoked.

For balance, there were plenty of messages of support too.

It’s a sad indictment that the current climate gives so many people the confidence to think that they have a right to voice their racism/bigotry.

8 Likes

It is tragic to hear these comments from people. I was once behind a Pakistani taxi driver and the chap behind me just got out and shouted paedophile at him , just after Rotherham

1 Like

Was talking with my brother who now lives in Wellington about the impact this has had there. The rural lifestyle has enabled and encouraged gun ownership and lax regulation has allowed people to own and modify assault rifles. There are imported large deer and large hogs that people do shoot. Fortunately the gun lobby there doesn’t carry the clout it does in the US. He sent this link which explains the situation there.

I think Australia tightened up a lot after a big attack a few years ago. There do seem to be gaps in the NZ rules. Good article here: Politicians on both sides of the aisle agree: our gun laws will change. Now powerful forces are preparing for a gun control debate. http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/111342456/why-do-members-of-the-public-even-need-militarystyle-semiautomatic-rifles?cid=app-iPhone

2 Likes

There were a couple of other horrible incidents in Oz before the Howard Govt imposed the amnesty and took most of the weapons off the streets. I was amazed by the discussions of the Hoddle Street massacre which were raised by Port Arthur. It is truly sad that it takes such massive death tolls for legislation to things safer

5 Likes

Lovely video. Shame about all the belms in the comments criticising Ardern for wearing hijab…

I just ignore the racist cunts. It’s the best way, I find.

First Dog on the Moon gets it right…

4 Likes

Why was I asked to condemn Islamist violence days after Christchurch?

1 Like

1 Like

5 Likes