Class A Obsession

Lads,this is a Quad obsession. Let him be or he’ll get no peace man!

1 Like

He’s entirely welcome here, but don’t they have a Quad forum where they can find others who speak the same language?

2 Likes
3 Likes

I will now! I just bought myself a Quad 909 - Whoopee!!!

3 Likes

Lovely set - up, This post ought to be in green. Stax Electrostatics is as close as am going to get. But Hey-ho, that is no bad thing.

1 Like

Is there one for those who have only ever owned Quad and only ever, at the exclusion of all other marques - Alfa Romeos?

Probably comes under the heading - idiot!!!

FF6340A1-8B15-4717-B28D-254749E05346

I’ve owned at least ten Alfa Romeos. I am an idiot but not the kind of idiot who deploys three exclamation marks. How gauche.

6 Likes

Hey, and idiot is an idiot no matter, in any language - regardless of the grammatic. However, happy to be an idiot over again if needed.

Only ten? so you’re not quite there then!

I fear you may have just acquired your forum tag :joy:

3 Likes

I’ve had one of those in the past and for me it definitely doesn’t have that magic class A sound signature.

1 Like

It isn’t really class a. Just a bit pretendy.

The idea sounds great on paper. Just sounds a bit meh.

Maybe - only time will tell. Folks still hanker after valves, yet solid state did not supersede them because they were inferior! Personally, valves don’t cut the mustard with me - having lived with them so long - professionally.

In fairness, Pure Single - Ended Class A is the way to go, But with a quiescent current of 3 -5 times the rated output power - mmm!

Plus, as I have only come to recognize, matching the amplifier to loudspeakers may well play a bigger part in the equation than I realised.

So what now is your power amp, so we can bring some balance to your assertion?

That’s always been my approach - speaker + room interaction is the starting point, then you get an amplifier that suits those speakers.

1 Like

A pair of class A SIT monoblocks, before then a Pass Labs XA30.8A stereo power amp, before then a pair of vintage Pioneer M-Z1a mono blocks, before then a pair of Marantz MA-5 monoblocks, etc etc, all class A.

Millions of pounds are spent on test equipment and the world turns because of it. So, I prefer to look at the figures, then make a subjective judgement on how it stacks up.

Many an expert is made to look a fool when judging fine wines blind. That is equally true when one is relying upon one’s hearing. "One man’s meat, is another’s poison!

You may well be right however. If that turns out to be the case, I will say so. But again, I don’t know what bench mark you are using to make that assertion?

Ok, tell me what match you are using?

hello clotho you’re doing well this time

2 Likes

I take my hat off to you - insofar as it is all class A. However, subjectively, what have you gauged it against - which is also class A? Not all are equal!

Seems a bit cloffo with a touch of chumpy.

5 Likes