CNC or 3D print all the things

Had a little go with hornresp. The black line is the original Altec driver, Faital pro the grey. Close enough.

The TD15m would work really well:

6 Likes

Had a go at modelling the Yuichi 290hz horn. Need some smoothing on the profiles but its a start.

13 Likes

What is the exchange rate Yuichi:Turan?

2 Likes

Not sure, until I break the models down into cut sheets not all that sure how much material is involved.

Obviously mdf would be a lot cheaper than decent birch ply.

The other thing that has caught my eye is the solid wood kitchen tops on eBay.

1 Like

You may be able to buy sink/hob cut-outs from kitchen suppliers.

I think that the way the strips of wood are connected together using a zigzag system will either look deeply cool or fucking awful once CNC’d into a profile. No idea which though!

I would imagine it would resemble the ones Yuchi built.

1 Like

I thought you were talking about using lCNC’d layers like your recent efforts.

For the mid/hf horn what about using a second hand oak table ?
Generally they are 28mm thick material I have just bought a lovely one like new for £75
Now bidding on a second one below.

1 Like

Yes layers of work top. He made layers of lamited blocks then shaped them with a power planer. I’d just do it on the cnc.

1 Like

It might, but this bit:

IveGotWood

might look a bit odd. Not sure.

Ah hadn’t spotted that. Wickes sell them too, might go and have a look.

My local timber merchant does oak railway sleepers 120 x 220mm x 2.4m for £40, would they work?

They won’t be seasoned.

2 Likes

which one is that?

The planed stuff is much more expensive: Oak American White pse 44 x 294mm (approx. finished size) is £70 per metre. Might work well though, and be easier to machine than thick stuff.

http://www.chilterntimber.co.uk/product/oak-american-white-planed-square-edge-pse-44mm-thick-various-widths/

1 Like

Have a look at Bamboo work tops from a resonance point of view

1 Like

I’m sure most things would work. I’m probably too lazy to to make up a laminate though.

The main limitation is the height clearance of the machine and length of tool possible. Not sure I can work on much thicker than 40mm layers I need to have a measure up and see what cutters are available.

I’ll build the first one from mdf just to see how it goes.

2 Likes

How accurate could you get the curved surfaces? I mean in terms of minimising sanding. Sure looks a lot of effort!