Cocks on clocks (Part the Second)

They can’t even agree from which direction a Roman numeral should be read. That dial you show is a complete mess.

2 Likes

Easiest way of solving the argument is to remove all roman numerals from watch faces.
They look fucking awful.

2 Likes

It’s not a particularly fancy watch.

There does seem to be several ways people do it

If you really want to upset watch-dial purists, wave a so-called ‘California-dialled’ watch at them…

Even better if it’s a reversed California dial…

2 Likes

Is there a purpose to that design, other than to try something different?

From Axios:

Data: WatchCharts.com; Chart: Axios Visuals

Rolex watches have always been expensive — all those sponsorships don’t come cheap. But over the past few years they’ve morphed from consumption good (buying one makes you that much poorer) to alternative asset class (buying one can, potentially, make you significantly richer).

Why it matters: Watches in general, and steel Rolex watches in particular, have now become an object of speculation. That in turn has helped to drive their price sharply upwards.

The big picture: Rolex watches have been all but impossible to buy on the primary market for years now.

• Annual supply of about 1 million watches per year now has to include a large allocation to China. That means authorized dealers don’t receive enough supply, even to mollify their best customers — all of whom are trying to buy as many watches as they can, given that secondary-market prices are always significantly higher than retail prices.
  • Rolex isn’t in the business of maximizing profits, so it doesn’t expand production to meet demand. Instead, it’s wholly owned by the Hans Wilsdorf Foundation, a Swiss charitable trust. When it does introduce new models, it does so slowly and deliberately, and tries to lead rather than follow the taste of the public.

By the numbers: The secondary market in Rolex watches is highly liquid. The average Rolex now sells for about $15,000 — up from less than $5,000 in 2011.

• Prices have been softening in recent months, however — the first sustained down market since Rolex watches became an investment-grade asset class.

What they’re saying: “A lot of buying was from people thinking prices can’t go down,” says WatchCharts.com founder Charles Tian. “Now we’re seeing that first major sign that this type of growth is not sustainable.”

1 Like

And yours is none of them, it’s a complete mess. Some read from the centre looking out, others from out looking in, yuck

Lol, that one belongs in the joke thread. What it should have said is that Rolex are in the business of upselling gold.

It’s another ‘lost-in-the-mists-of-time’ tale, attributed to a Rolex dealer in California in the early C20th having a batch of repair dials made-up.

I’ve always wondered if it might have been caused by a customer sketch showing two different dial variants that they wanted - one Roman numerals, the other Arabic - but drawn within the one circle - which was misunderstood by the manufacturer who just printed what he saw.

1 Like

The number of Rolexes on TZ-UK watch forum’s sales corner has suddenly increased - sure it’s just coincidence! :laughing:

Bronze and dark blue is not normally my thing but saw this today and at £140 thought it rude not to :+1:

8 Likes

Like. But the wavy bits :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
For me, lovely without the waves

It’s the light catching the wave design that makes them stand out in the pic Dave the face is all blue.

1 Like

Love it :ok_hand:

I have a bit of a soft spot for Nautica watches, and own two of them - they’re made by Timex, but to my eye are way more interestingly styled, and tremendous VFM :+1:

This one was the first watch I ever bought because I liked how it looked rather than being purely practical -

Much more recent - purely because I love the look -

Both cost well under £100, yet the quality of build is exemplary.

2 Likes

Weren’t they a Debenhams brand?

Nautica is a US fashion brand - just the sort of thing that Debenhams would carry :ok_hand:

1 Like

I remembered that you had a couple so decided to have a closer look at it.

It’s much nicer in the flesh than my phone pic suggests. :+1:

1 Like

Yep - you have to see them in the metal to appreciate how very well made they are. There’s no short-cuts, no faking, no bits of plastic hidden - top notch materials beautifully machined. I have had much pricier stuff (10x) which wasn’t as well finished.

1 Like

Want this.

From Chrono24: Rolf Lang from Dresden, a master of his trade, the high watchmaking art, is fulfilling a dream. After 50 years of fulfilling work for others, now, in 2014, HIS watch is coming onto the market. In addition to the pure in-house caliber with a manufacturing depth of 100% of its own parts, even the housing was created here in pure manual work, because no machine can produce this, only humans. Rolf Lang is so convinced of the high and very low quality of his elegant watches that he gives a lifetime warranty. This is unique in the watch industry. In addition, there is also the information that the service is carried out every 4 years for 200 € by Rolf Lang. This gives you a 20-year warranty on a one-of-a-kind piece from Rolf Lang.
I hardly know anything like that from the watch industry. Each Rolf Lang is a masterpiece of craftsmanship and a unique piece.

£14427, so not happening.

Gosh, he even does a version that isn’t hideous -

Lange-style 3/4 plate movement for 1/5 the cost :ok_hand:

1 Like