Covfaffe - the road to despair, calling at futility and disappointment

When did “filter coffee” become “pour over coffee”

4 Likes

when the price doubled?

2 Likes

Yes that thing which just has it sitting in the water and it goes through a metal filter. Was just thinking they are likely similar and so an espresso might be good for a strong shot.

A waste of energy to produce then use and throw away, that’s just how it seems to me. Maybe it’s so superior it’s worth it.

I’ll have a think about it some more.

4 Likes

The filter paper, really? I imagine than the carbon footprint of the filter paper is a tiny fraction of that if the coffee itself. Possibly a fraction of a percent tbh!

And even if you made a dozen cups a day, the carbon footprint of filter papers would never reach that of any actual coffee machine.

I admit I wasn’t calculating anything and just wondered why I would choose a throw-away filter over a permanent one.

Anyway, as I’m happy with the filtering I currently have I think the espresso will be the way to go if I get something else.

I’ve never tried the Bodum vacuum thing. It looks very cool, does it actually make a coffee you can control well?

The thing I like about my pour over system is how easy it is to get right. If a new coffee is over or under extracted, I change the grind setting and the next one is perfect. It’s sweet and pleasingly acidic, with a back of the mouth kick as well.

I’ve totally gone off espresso except for milky drinks. It’s not sweet enough unless you add sugar, and then it’s cloying, and most espressos are far too bitter. I used to like the bitter hit, but it gets tiresome tbh. Maybe I’m just getting old!

Been making some lovely cappuccinos recently. I might take the Bambino to Lopwell. It’s so portable.

2 Likes

Also need someone to teach me latte art.

I know nothing of good coffee so I just put some in and drink whatever comes out.

Interesting what you say about the espresso as I always used to add sugar to coffee but with this I’m able not to. Maybe I should stick with this and try a pour over if I want some extra faff.

Only other thing I’ve been having is a cortado from Costa if I’m dragged in there, which does have milk but I was still ok without sugar.

Edit: I’m going to have to check with grind and see what difference it makes aren’t I? Ffs, the faff begins.

If your espressos are/were bitter, you’re either using the wrong grinder/machine or your beans have been over-roasted. :thinking:

1 Like

I mean ones you get in cafés etc. There’s only one café here that serves decent espresso, and tbh the flat white is better. All cafés over roast their beans, to my taste. I know you can do better at home, but I begrudge the counter space!

The faff began the moment you posted on the thread! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

One or two exceptions (there was a very good shot from one in Epping of all places), but yes.

What annoys me is how easy it is to find good coffee in London. Hipster cunts.

1 Like

Nope, more hip replacement than hipster.

1 Like

I was talking central - is Epping even London?

And still people flock to the chains. It proves that very few people can tell, or care about, the difference.

1 Like

Cortado experiments this morning.

7 Likes

For those worried about computers knowing so much about us that we’ll cease to be relevant and they’ll rise up and overthrow us…

I also had Amazon asking me if I fancied a new printer, as if I didn’t hate myself enough already.

2 Likes