Covfaffe - the road to despair, calling at futility and disappointment

Where does he actually barist?

I think his days as a barista are long gone

He doesnā€™t post videos frequently enough to earn enough as a content creator surely? Maybe he doesā€¦

He owns Square Mile Coffee

Oh yes he does, plus Patreon fees plus of course he is owner of Square Mile Cofffee

1 Like

Ah fair enough. A pretty good businessman then.

I do wonder whether his smooth, charismatic persona is just a front and heā€™d actually be a prick to work for. Could imagine him going a bit Ramsey in one of his shops and telling a barista to chuck it out and start again.

What shops?

Well there was definitely one just off Bishopsgate.

They were rude entitled twats which might explain why I went there once and once only, and why they are no longer there.

Although Iā€™m getting a ā€œyouā€™ve mixed it up with other rude, entitled coffee twatsā€ vibe, so yeah, whoever they were, they were twats.

2 Likes

I could be wrong but I thought they were roasters who sold their wares to independant shops.
Plus the direct mail order business of course.

I can see the logo, I can remember the arsehole refusing to speak and holding the menu in my face when I asked what was on offer, I can remember him pushing it further in my face when I said I didnā€™t have my glasses with me so I couldnā€™t read it, but I couldnā€™t swear to it being Square Mile :man_shrugging:

Yeah Iā€™m pretty certain Iā€™ve seen a SMC shop in central London somewhere. Could be wrong though. My completely unfounded suspicion about his potential Jekyll and Hyde persona still stands though.

2nd time you have said that, based on what?

Think the clue was in the ā€˜completely unfoundedā€™ part. Iā€™m just being silly, based on his extreme Mr Nice Guy persona. Donā€™t mean to actually cast any aspersions.

Swedish radio just covered 2 pieces of research.

1. Coffee lovers are more intelligent than non coffee lovers. No hope for coffee baggers or instants, probably worse than tea drinkersšŸ˜‚
    WDT users/tools had the highest IQ of all!

No mention of EQ.
I expect Sheldon loved coffee :slightly_smiling_face:

1. Cat liking people are more introverted than doggy people. Cat likers also tested with higher intelligence.

Usual generalisations and ā€œlies, damn lies and then thereā€™s statisticsā€, apply.

Joking aside, the WDT definitely works and makes sound materials science sense.
You wouldnā€™t add your cement to sand and leave it clumpy add water and expect the right mortar result.

1 Like

Getting the hang of it now! Ridgeless VST basket and naked portafilter next. :+1:

1 Like

Prufrock is his cafe

2 Likes

Very good. Expensive! :heavy_dollar_sign::heavy_dollar_sign::heavy_dollar_sign:

Many thanks - just looked at the website and saw they do tasting events and basic home brewing courses. The former Iā€™m particularly interested in as I still donā€™t really know what Iā€™m looking for in terms of getting the right grind size/taste (despite all the advice given above). I need a bit of mimetic learning to get me started. The cafe is not too far from me so will definitely go and check it out too.

1 Like