Covfaffe - the road to despair, calling at futility and disappointment

Like everything else with barista coffee, manual tamping is an art form :smiley:

I get it right sometimes, most times, then I forget a bit, or get distracted and itā€™s off.

Was at a posh garden centre yesterday and had their coffee. We go quite often.
Big fast grinder, lever operated same pressure everytime tamper.
Big Ā£25000 espresso machines.

The coffee there is totally repeatable.
They calibrate the grind size and tamp pressure / machine often they said.

Their machine does froth milk well!

I can match their taste on a good dayšŸ™‚

@thebiglebowski the other more basic option is to try a slightly more developed roast for your espresso. Light roast espressos arenā€™t everyoneā€™s cup of tea, if youā€™ll pardon the obvious.

found that in my google journey :slight_smile: so did go off and check the southern water hardness and pH for my postcode.

Think I might try a darker roast, have got some filter coffee beans so might give those a try instead

I saw a James Hoffman vid the other day, canā€™t remember which one, Iā€™ve watched a few! But he said that it didnā€™t matter how much beyond you tamp past the pressure required to compact the grinds together. My impression was that once that point is reached itā€™s difficult to go further, no matter how hard you press. Iā€™m pressing hard and seem to get the timing pretty consistent and the coffee is tasting alright I think. I quite like a bit of acidity!

1 Like

Seen the same vid. I think tamping evenly is more important than the pressure.

1 Like

Yes currently obsessed with this. Iā€™m getting there, I think. I need to get a slimmer drip tray to be able to see the flow now Iā€™ve got a bottomless portafilter. On and on the spending goes. My fucking scales are on the blink too!

Just got a VST precision basket. Early results are promising.

download (11)

3 Likes

Just realised that I kept seeing signage for this company just round the corner from me:

They roast but do tasting courses too. Might see what the price is for that.

1 Like

Iā€™ve perfected the heart with an ejaculating dick on the bottom. :+1:

8 Likes

ā€œThey call him Ritchie Rorschachā€

2 Likes

Oh shitā€¦ :grimacing:

Adding to the exciting line of Wayward coffee art.

Hereā€™s a ghosty, or is it a genie? With a very small head, that I created just nowšŸ˜‚

2 Likes

Was out at a local coffee shop and decided to get a macchiato. Yeah, quite a strong taste that.

Bought some Illy ready ground espresso in a tin and it made an ok espresso so itā€™s not the machine or technique.

Guess it has to be the way Iā€™m grinding the beans, will have a look for a proper grinder next week.

Only weird thing is that the illy shot went through in 20 secs with a very rapid start and leaked/squirted quite a bit, guess itā€™s a coarser grind than proper espresso.

Yes, you canā€™t really use ready ground espresso with the single-walled basket. You need the pressurised basket for that.

1 Like

I thought you had a Knock?

If this tastes better than fresh ground coffee, you must be doing something very fucking rong.

You are using fresh (no older than 4 weeks from roasting) beans, and grinding them immediately before extraction, yes?

1 Like

This looks interesting

https://coffe.kazak.com.pl/en/

3 Likes

New scales!

Timemore Black Mirror Nano

My old ones were turning off mid-brew and once I got an espresso machine they also proved far too laggy to be accurate when trying to stop a shot. I was looking at the Acaia Luna, espresso specific jobbies but at something like 300 quid (!) they are really well out of reach. These arenā€™t cheap at Ā£80-ish but do everything the others do. They can be used for pour-over too (they will measure flow rate if you want them to) and have a mode for that and espresso.

So far Iā€™m very impressed. They are metal, so feel nice and solid. They fit with a cup under the naked portafilter much better than my other ones and without having to remove the drip tray. In espresso mode, they sense when a cup is placed on top of them and then start weighing and timing once the first drip of coffee hits the cup. They really work! Iā€™ve dialled in a new coffee this morning (Red Brick) much quicker than was possible before because they are that much more accurate.

7 Likes

Did their coffee appreciation course today. Went through some tasting and came away with some coffee.

Didnā€™t actually taste this one today but I have fond memories of a Costa Rican coffee I loved in the past so chose these beans.

3 Likes

Timemore Black Mirror NanošŸ‘

They even have Audiofool type names :joy:

2 Likes