Covfaffe - the road to despair, calling at futility and disappointment

What colour?

Black. Fits the kitchen best and is way cheaper than the white ones.

The base model is about to be around Ā£500 more expensive. Iā€™ve got a 1.43 from stock and when they start making 1.44, they reprice based on parts costs and currency values. Some of the models they are shipping already on 1.44 and the UK prices are nuts.

3 Likes

Jealous

2 Likes

Me too. Bastard. :grin:

1 Like

This statement needs calibration.

Iā€™ve no real idea what it is, but Iā€™ll be fucked if Iā€™m missing a chance to call you a bastard.

You bastard!!

4 Likes

The ultimate coffee machine from what I can tell. Endless adjustments, endless.

Similar thing just happened to me buying a gooseneck kettle. I get a message saying delivery wonā€™t be for a few weeks (as opposed to next day as I thought) and when I clicked on the order details it said ā€˜Used - like newā€™. I canā€™t cancel the order as it says itā€™s been despatched, so may have to wait for it to arrive and return it (I messaged the seller who did reply pretty fast to say that it is new but because the seal is broken, they have to list it as that. But who knows?).

When I click on the item again a different seller comes up.

Not sure what Amazon have done to their ordering system but itā€™s become very unclear. Not happy about having to wait now. I could order it again for next day but donā€™t really want to until this issue is resolved.

Itā€™s the 3rd party things that end up being a nightmare. The scales actually came as expected as Iā€™m sure they came from China.

I ordered a kettle from Japan and it came very quickly, a few weeks from ordering on Amazon seems extreme.

Not really, I was looking at some screen protectors and it all looked good, postage included etc. deivery end of Jan. You have to be a bit careful and read all the small print

1 Like

Ok, so have finally got a proper set up (conveniently my Porlox got lost in the house move, giving me an excuse to get a new grinder). More on this to follow once all the toys come in.

But I got my Wilfa Uniform today (canā€™t justify a Niche, and pour over will be 90% of what I do anyway).

For those familiar with it, they recommend a range of 14-28 for pour over (Hoffman mentioned he uses step 28 in his review of the unit). I used Tesco Ashbeck water as my tap water is hard and cheap M&S Kenya beans as at this stage, I just want to get a feel for what grind size does for the taste and also need to get used to following the recipes correctly.

I tried two recipes from Hoffman - a 3 stage pour (1 for bloom and then 2 pours) and his more recent 5 step method. I actually found the 5 step one easier to follow and gave better results.

So first tried grinding on 14, then 28, then dialed it back to 25, which worked best for me. I could definitely tell the differences, but although 25 gave the best results, I still donā€™t think itā€™s especially nice/not giving me the anticipated fireworks. I presume at this stage itā€™s due to the beans and I should now get better ones.

I also need to get used to the pouring method - getting the right amount of water in the right amount of time. I wasnā€™t super consistent across the pours (though not wildly out).

I think I also still need to do a tasting course/go through it with someone who knows what theyā€™re doing, so I really know what to look out for taste-wise.

BTW is Red Brick only suitable for espresso (as ā€˜seasonal espressoā€™ suggests)?

1 Like

They do a ā€œFilter Blendā€ which is filter focused and very tasty

1 Like

I donā€™t think I would use it for pour over.
Pour over is generally more suited to lighter roasts that espresso.
From Red Mile I am currently enjoying the Melka Gumie.

But if starting out I would get some of the cheaper bags from Horsham
The Brazil or Rwanda cofees are both very good and relatively cheap to experiment on

Interesting on the Wifa.
When I had use of one I was up nearer 40 for V60 pour over

I thought you had a Wilfa Svart

No, I had Domā€™s old Uniform for an extended loan.
Went to John (Stepmotheratomicbomb) via Lopwell last year

1 Like

If you see here at 4:50-5:05 - but maybe heā€™s talking about brewing a larger amount - Iā€™ve only been doing 15g/250g water so far.

I just tried setting it to 32 and this is better. Maybe Iā€™ll try 38 next and see. Their guide suggests 14-28 for pour over, 22-32 for filter and 30-38 for French press.

Thanks, will try their Fazenda Inhame as a next step.

The 40/60 Tetsu Kasuya method needs it a fair bit courser than Hoffmannā€™s version. I think Kevin uses the Tetsu method which would explain the course grind setting he used.

1 Like

Could also try this:

I like it as I just find it easier but Iā€™m not saying itā€™s producing better coffee. I am enjoying my coffee now and really that is lighter roast and less bitter, more towards a sour flavour. Iā€™ve made cups that seemed to be right in the middle of bitter/sour and I was feeling like it was lacking something.

I was not a massive coffee drinker before and even now I only use a small dose but Iā€™m even wondering whether I like it much more now as I acquired more of a taste for it via testing. I really just prefer it black now.

1 Like

:+1:

1 Like

Jims bake off yeah?

1 Like