Covfaffe - the road to despair, calling at futility and disappointment

I agree with everything you say apart from the above. When we used a cafetiere we used to sieve the coarsely ground coffee to remove the worst of the finings. A good consistent and well maintained grinder is important.

Itā€™s unlikely we would agree about everything, Iā€™m fine with that and hope you are too.

Iā€™d like to try a seive. The coffee specific ones are madly expensive! I have seen one made from a frying pan spatter screen which looked suitably mad! :grin: what did you use?

1 Like

3 Likes

totally :sunglasses:

1 Like

Elitist toff.

6 Likes

the world would be a very boring place if there were just one method of making coffee drinks. I like them all but my preference is for espresso based.

I have a taste for Turkish, but I do draw the line at that instant shit.

I am thinking of buying a vacuum brewer to see whether that adds any joy to my coffee experience.

I hope you arenā€™t washing your Uncle Benā€™s and cheese down with that, youā€™ll be unable to appreciate the finer flavours of either! :scream:

2 Likes

Iā€™m exactly the same on this point. I spent years being annoyed at the coffee I could produce at home, because pour-over never occurred to me. Espresso was always limited by budget and space - not least because I only have one cup of coffee per day, so I begrudged having the machines in the house. I spent 20 minutes yesterday rejigging kitchen cupboards to get some of the wanky devices away from the worktops but itā€™s still cluttered. I hate clutter.

In the absence of a decent espresso machine Iā€™ve tried cheaper ones, Nespresso, stove top (including an electric version) and one-cup cafetiĆØre, all with indifference as to the result. At one point I actually went back to instant, because it removed all expectations of quality but still delivered the caffeine hit.

The pour-over system was a revelation. The coffee you get is by far my favourite - you get a bitter hit (albeit not as much as espresso), but it has the rounded mouth feel and sweetness that you can only achieve by adding sugar to espresso (and thatā€™s a balance I can never get right).

The Aeropress is fun, and a bit quicker to prepare, but the results just arenā€™t as consistently good.

Always preferred good filter style coffee to espresso based. Though my usual is a bean to cup machine :grin:. (One step above pod machines but a lot cheaper to run)

Iā€™ve had a Cona for years, itā€™s splendid faff, end result is fine though probably not as good as pour over.

Possibly the ponciest thing youā€™ve ever posted, even by your standards.

Should be on the phrases that need to be stamped out thread.

7 Likes

Itā€™s been a poor lunchtime

Coffee was shit and only had wholegrain spicy Mexican rice in the co op

1 Like

:grin: I knew youā€™d enjoy that. It is a thing though, when coffee is brewed right, it does feel different in the mouth and I cant think of another way of explaining it. I take a screw top mug of coffee to work most mornings and because Iā€™m drinking it through a spout, I canā€™t smell it and it feels different in the mouth and tastes different too. I quite often find it emphasizes any petal/floral notes. :grin:

1 Like

https://futureartists.co.uk/fa-content/uploads/2013/04/Pob03-670x502.jpg

3 Likes

How does it differ from a triangular mouth feel? Or maybe pentagonal?

Itā€™s massive cuntery and you know it.

5 Likes

I was going to google a picture of a girl with a rounded mouth, but I am using a work computer.

I donā€™t use the phrase because of how cunty it sounds, but actually how else to describe that particular component of taste?

Michael Gove?

4 Likes

Stout fellow, stiff upper lip.

1 Like

Had anyone tried a clever dripper?

2 Likes

Isnā€™t that Ritchie? :thinking: