Covfaffe - the road to despair, calling at futility and disappointment

They took the piss out of Alan Ducasse Coffee at Ā£15.00 a cup from Yemen

From 24 minutes

3 Likes

I spoke to Olivier about those beans. Ā£15 is mad, but up.until 12 months ago I was managing to buy Yemeni green beans (my fav), but it is almost impossible to buy now. Ducasse has secured a supply of some of the rarest Yemeni beans, which given the state of the country is remarkable. I get the price, whether it offers good value is down to.the individual.

Oh, I havenā€™t tried a cup

Was listening on R4 on te way home. Thought of this thread and especially @Wayward They general consensus seemed to be that Ā£15 was ridiculous.

We should get Evan Davis to do a piece on faff. :grin:

Yes, we need a Faff Tsar. :slight_smile:

We have one!

1 Like

I can imagine the coffee would be delicious but 15 quid is madness and way beyond me! I reckon the Geisha I posted up thread might be more expensive if bought in a coffee shopā€¦

I donā€™t understand how people who can happily spend Ā£ā€™000s on a watch that keeps worse time than a Ā£10 digital watch can complain about Ā£15 for a coffee. Sure, itā€™s more expensive than most cups of coffee, but itā€™s an occasional treat, not a daily one.

Iā€™m pleased that such things exist, although Iā€™m not going to go out of my way to find this place.

3 Likes

The watch will hold value if not appreciate. Its also not really about how well it keeps time, its jewellery.

The Ā£15 spent on the coffee is gonneeeeee. Also probably more debatable if its better, its just hard to get and rare. Which means its better :smiley:

3 Likes

What Edd said. The coffee will turn into piss in short order. Youā€™re paying Ā£15 for a luxury piss.

3 Likes

Occasionally youā€™ll push the boat out & pay for a nice meal or some other temporary but enjoyable luxury. It leaves you with a nice memory. I wouldnā€™t pay Ā£15 for a coffee for various reasons (poverty, vertigo) but I certainly wouldnā€™t try to discourage anyone else from doing it.

I would pay Ā£15 for one, just to try it.

Plenty of you lot would pay Ā£100 for a meal out, which is Ā£94 more than a fish supper.

Is that one by Russian hookers? Seems cheap to me.

Exactly this. Because of my lack of a sense of smell, it would be a hugely compromised and therefore wasted experience for me. But Iā€™m always keen to see people in any area really push the envelope of what can be done.

St Albans prices will always be higherā€¦

Iā€™d actually try if Iā€™d i was in the neighbourhood. Ā£15 isnā€™t going to break the bank.

I bet Ritchieā€™s coffee costs more in man hour terms.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s probably what theyā€™re banking on. I doubt there will be many if any regulars for this, but theyā€™re after the ā€œcurious to try something insanely expensiveā€ market and London is big enough that you only need one-time customers to make it work.

1 Like

I suspect they also know that the name Alan Ducasse being attached to it will bring in a lot of people.

Do you add sugar and Coffeemate?

4 Likes

Itā€™s 30 quid with those in.