Covfaffe - the road to despair, calling at futility and disappointment

I think hand grinding would be a lot of work, even for a 3 cup cafatiere.

I think hand grinding would be a lot of work, even for a 3 cup cafatiere.

Cafetiere

3 Likes

we like our Rancillio

Not much work, cafetier grind size is large so the burrs donā€™t have to work too hard. Knock grinders are very efficient, compared to a Porlex which I had before. They also produce a much narrower particle size band, as opposed to powder+ boulders.

2 Likes

Work out your coffee to water ratios and a full cafetiĆØre is only about a full tank of the knock.
It is a bit of effort, though. I got sick of putting a handful of beans into a decent electric grinder and finding most of the result was sat in the tubes.

ā€¦And then wrecks your next brewā€¦

depends on the throughput. We are normally pushing through coffee for maybe 6 double espressoā€™s per day. we rarely have a problem with the remains. I normally sweep out the few grams that are left, when we change beansā€¦

@browellm Another thing to consider is your coffee future. For instance, the Sage listed in the Independent 10 best list that Simon posted, is recognised as a very good grinder, which is feature packed and excellent value. It will grind a very good espresso but wonā€™t grind large enough for a French press. Other grinders may have the opposite issueā€¦
I know you want an espresso machine, so if you go electric make sure that you get one that is capable of doing both ends of your grinding needs.

1 Like

2 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

giphy%20(3)

2 Likes

Ascaso grinders are great - mine has been brilliant - 10 yearā€™s use and still going strong. Plenty of adjustment on the grind too.

Hereā€™s one for Ā£90.

https://www.for-sale.co.uk/r/Details/ascaso/ascaso_gumtree_1309274830

1 Like

I reckon that Krups grinder will do me for a bit of messing about and experimentation. :+1:

2 Likes

Damn the world of covfefe and all its chicanery. I was going to order a 3-cup cafetiere yesterday and then I read donā€™t get a 3-cup because of the heat loss from the small volume, so now Iā€™m looking at 4-cup options.

Too late. Youā€™ve already succumbed. :grinning:

Anyone thought bollocks to coffee and gone back to tea bags yet?

1 Like

Iā€™ve certainly been trying to drink more tea of late, but thatā€™s mostly to get my sugar consumption down than anything else.

image http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/medias/sys_master/root/h98/hfc/8845456572446.jpg

I bought a jar of this on holiday. Looks like coffee but tastes like something elseā€¦ I couldnā€™t manage one cupšŸ¤¢

Pah. As ever, we need SSM tea foo.

2 Likes