Covfaffe - the road to despair, calling at futility and disappointment

And 21 seconds to empty it :grinning:

3 Likes

Interesting that it was served as a cortado.

I think you spotted crap use of a library picture by the Guardian. if you go there those beans arenā€™t on the espresso menu - I thought a Cortado was an espresso based drink. IIRC correctly they only make pour over coffee from the Yemeni beans.

this is how I think it is poured

Ducasse%20Yemen%20Coffee

Here is the menu from when we were there last Decemberā€¦ā€¦I donā€™t think it has changedā€¦

20181208_180142 by uh_simon, on Flickr

the Ā£15 Yemen is at the bottom of the filter section, and not shown on the espresso sectionā€¦

some rocket fuel cold brewā€¦ā€¦.120g coffee per litre

20181208_180800 by uh_simon, on Flickr

I think Iā€™ll go and try out the place (not the Ā£15 coffee though), as I always travel through Kingā€™s Cross when Iā€™m in London. I can stretch to Ā£4.50

Sounds like a slippery slope

The Ā£15 coffee sampling will be in about 3 more cups.

I have now acquired an aeropress. Let faffing commence.

4 Likes

Got a grinder yet?

Not yet, but I do have some extra birthday moneyā€¦

1 Like

Budget?

Honestly, not a lot, not more than about Ā£30. Got plenty of other things that Iā€™d like to spend the money on so its got competition!

Porlex is about that much, might be slightly more

1 Like

Iā€™ll probably put my DeLonghi electric grinder on the Tat Bazaar for something like Ā£15 shortly. I fancy getting a Porlex now.

The porlex has such a nice box.

2 Likes

Really enjoying the pour over.

I find the process very enjoyable, the Porlex is great and watching the beans bloom is :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The end result is well worth the 3:30 of delightful faff. The end result is very smooth and low in acidity.

I now want a better scale and more things, like a chemex and a Kalita wave.

1 Like

Do I need an Acaia Pearl?

Yes, yes I do.

2 Likes

I had a fairly lengthy affair with the Kalita Wave but a little while ago I went back to the v60 because I ran out of filters for the Kalita. I used the same recipe in the v60 but found that the grind needed to be slightly finer. My impression is that the Kalita produces a bit more body but the v60 seems to drag out a teensy bit more of the delicate tones that the Kalita didnā€™t seem to get near. I have also found that the Kalita is sensitive to getting the pours (I use a pulse pour recipe) exact, whereas the v60 is much more flexible and forgiving. Iā€™d like to try the chemex too, it would be easier to make coffee for more people. Iā€™d need a grinder with a bigger capacityā€¦

1 Like

I just want more toys.

2 Likes

Much of what I like about the v60 is the lack of paraphernalia. It fits in the cupboard and dishwasher no problem. The fact that it does the best coffee is a pleasant +1.

1 Like