Cricket, lovely cricket (Part 1)

Marshall was indeed devastating and his average is better but Jimmy is English, so I’m one -eyed. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: we should also take into account who they bowled with… Athough Broad is good, he isn’t as effective as Warne, who bowled in tandem with McGrath a lot and the Aussie back-up steamers weren’t too shabby either. Marshall was part of an incredible quartet of fast bowlers right through his test career.

1 Like

Marshall was incredible - virtually as quick as Ambrose, Walsh and Holding but with seam and swing included. Unplayable in normal English conditions.

McGrath was just a bit more unerring in line and length than Jimmy and loved Lords.

1 Like

Plenty of rain in the forecast the next two days - England presumably declare now?
I’d argue they should have declared once Woakes got his 100.

Such comprehensive margins of victory are rare enough in test cricket, but this game was completed inside 2 days (170.3 overs)

Remarkable.

England certainly had the best of the conditions to bat, but our bowlers still had to take 20 wickets against the number one side in test cricket.

Roll on Trent Bridge where I would expect us to wrap up the series.

1 Like

I’m there Saturday and Monday.

1 Like

If it swings, which it usually does at TB, you might want to have something in reserve planned for Monday :grin:

Jimmy’s favourite ground…

Iirc Broad bowled reasonably well at Trent Bridge in the last Ashes series.:+1:
Could be the first test match to be completed in one day.:scream:

There have also been matches where it seems like the groundsmen and the tea ladies swapped jobs.

The Indians are getting slaughtered back home, particularly coach Ravi Shastri. Kohli getting mauled too, but then they’ve never really forgiven him for his part in getting the legendary Anil Kumble removed.

If the series ends up in a whitewash, which is now a distinct possibility, I expect them both to be sacked.

Only Ashwin seems to be (quite rightly) escaping the vitriol.

1 Like

I thought Kohli was untouchable

Not a chance. The hatred shown towards him is incredible. As I said, he is still being slammed for his part in removing Kumble (who is truly idolised in India) but his captaincy is, not so much being questioned, more like torn to pieces.

Kohli will be very lucky to escape the sack after this series.

Good article. Can’t disagree with any of it.

I really hope he can go on for a couple of summers yet.

1 Like

Stokes found not guilty!

Didn’t expect that tbh

Wow, I thought it was a slam dunk from the video and the witness reports that I heard

Indeed, I thought so too. There have been some suggestions that the CPS opted for the wrong charge - affray, rather than ABH - and when they wanted to add ABH at the outset of the trial the judge told them they were ‘too late’

It remains to be seen what action the ECB will now take as a result of the inevitable disciplinary hearing. Bizarrely, he was allowed to play for England pending the outcome of this case, yet may now face a ban should they deem it appropriate.

I suspect they will impose some sort of ban. How severe, may depend on their desire to get him back in the side versus their wish to be seen to ‘do the right thing’

Innocent until proven innocent at which point he will be on trial again from the ECB

I dunno, being found not guilty puts him in a better place than prior to the court appearance, so it would seem perverse if the ECB did anything now, when they were happy for him to play prior to court. But that doesn’t mean it won’t happen!

2 Likes