Cricket, lovely cricket (Part 1)

1 Like

Hales was a lucky boy to keep out of this. He kicked the bloke on the ground then lied to the police.

Stokes was very calm and coherent when talking to the arresting officer, this went against the drunken red mist version put forward by the prosecution. He had a fair trial and was found not guilty.

2 Likes

Neither has Watson when it comes to DRS (ā€œDonā€™t Review, Shaneā€) so the bottom image is a standard meme for any decision which could be seen as contentious.

What surprises me a bit about the verdicts is that it seemed like the jury decision was essentially being lined up to be deciding which side was guilty through being the first to swing. Having both acquitted appears to make the whole thing fair game, unless they considered that a squaddie being beaten in a fight by a cricketer is enough punishment in itself.

1 Like

Haha, I see.

Does Stokes get back in the side? :thinking:

Well put it this way. Do you think heā€™s amongst the best 11 cricketers we have?

If your answer is yes, then yes, he gets in the side.

If your answer is no, then youā€™re wrong and he gets in the side.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Are you going to drop Woakes then? coz I didnā€™t think he played too badly in the last game. :yum:

Cipriani as 12th man? Should fit in well.

1 Like

Could leave out Rashid, seamers can do the job. Curran batting at 9 is pretty handy.

1 Like

Sam Curran may well be the unlucky one, however with such a stupid schedule they could even consider resting Anderson or Broad. I would be surprised if they went into the game without a spinner. I think the phrase is ā€˜itā€™s a nice problem to haveā€™ will surface at some point.

They might not even pick him for Trent Bridge and wait until Southampton, I think a lot will come down to how they see his mental state.

Iā€™m not sure Anderson can be dropped when he is so obviously on a roll and TB is his favourite ground. Broad is coming into a bit of form and TB is his home ground. I dont think either should be dropped for Stokes anyway, as I dont think Stokes is an opening bowler. Curran has been really good so far and wouldnā€™t be dropped in normal circumstances either. Woakes played out of his skin at Lordā€™s. Dropping Pope would mean re-shuffling the batting line up and surely he deserves a run. I donā€™t like the idea of no spinner. England arenā€™t quite the West Indies of the 80ā€™s!

I think he may have to waitā€¦

Weather good.
Canā€™t wait.

Try and spot me on oblivious cam!

:+1:

1 Like

Iā€™m a bit jealous!

Indeed, I agree completely. I just said they might consider it. If I was picking the team I would leave out Butler which wouldnā€™t mess up the top order, but it would give us a very good addition to the bowling line up.

Not sure that Ed Smith will drop Buttler, as he is there really as his pick and deserves a run. He is potentially awesome in test cricketā€¦ I agree though that his would be the most likely spot. Stokesā€™ problem is that Woakes came in and absolutely smashed it!

Butler does have the potential to be devastating in test cricket, but his scores of 0, 1 and 24 in his 3 innings this summer, combined with an overall average of 32 (over 36 innings) and yet to make a century, would suggest he is the likely candidate to make way. Woakes gets in my team all day long.

Providing they are fit, Root, Anderson, Broad, Bairstow, Stokes and Woakes all are automatic picks for me. That only leaves 5 places and as we donā€™t seem to have any openers capable of displacing Cook or Jennings then the rest are competing for 3 places. Add your spinner (Moeen or Rashid) and weā€™re down to 2 remaining spots. We need a number 4 so presumably Pope (even though heā€™s never batted that high in county cricket) gets that.

Leaves you with Curran and Butler. Take your pick.

1 Like

Curran would get my nod,
He has a good debut with bat and ball, should have gained confidence from that and has contributed to the victories

Great name for a comedy duo

Mine too, tbh. We donā€™t need a sixth bowler, but itā€™s nice to know an injury to one of our strike bowlers would have some cover. I would expect his batting to continue to improve and for that he needs to be tested against international test match bowlers. He seems to have both the temperament and a sound technique.

It would be hard luck on Butler having just been recalled, but he hasnā€™t yet brought his form from limited overs cricket to the test match arena with any consistency yet. Maybe his technique isnā€™t up to it. Sure he can destroy ODI and T20 attacks, but theyā€™re not always bowling to take wickets and have run restricting fields set, as opposed to attacking fields with close catchers.

Sunset over The St Lawrence

3 Likes