Cricket, lovely cricket (Part 1)

On that pitch I would take 285, but let’s see after SL bat.

Once again the star of the show is a slightly built, 5’ 9" tall, 20 year old kid. His assessment of any given situation and his corresponding reaction in his style of play is beyond good.

Meanwhile Jimmy is inadvertently giving Foakes the opportunity to show how good he is. Great leg side takes.

Leach!

Classic dismissal.

1 Like

He is giving Pushpakumara nightmares at the moment.

Good effort from SL. I didn’t think they would get a lead but they’ve managed a pretty handy one.

England need to survive one over and dig in tomorrow. The pitch doesn’t seem to have the demons in it that it appeared to have on day one, so we need a good lead. 300 required and then it will be very interesting.

Will Jimmy Anderson open???

No, it’s Jack Leach. Nail biting over coming up!

Well played JL.

Surely sending in a nightwatchman for Jennings sends the wrong message to the oppo’?

Not for me, I read that as a wise decision.

If JL had got out first ball it would be stumps. No different to sending in a night watchman with one over to go.

Fair enough, I hope he hits a sparkling fifty in the morning.

1 Like

Me too, but I’m not holding my breath :grin:

If he sees off half a dozen overs with that new ball, I’ll be satisfied.

Well he can’t do much worse than the walking wicket that is Jennings against the new ball. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Seriously good innings from Root. Well played!

100! Well, 102?

I suggested they had to dig in and get to 300. Lol, they’re bouncing along at 4 1/2 an over and still look like reaching that mark.

Positive cricket eh?

It’s brilliant. Previous England teams might have wilted after conceding a first innings lead like they did yesterday. This lot are playing to their strengths with some conviction though, and it’s very exciting. I hope they can bowl like they did in Galle when it is their turn. It didn’t sound like they had quite the same discipline yesterday.

Yeah, their bowling looked pretty ordinary yesterday.

Root gone. Sweep shot has now claimed all 7 wickets!

It’s also contributed most of the runs too, so I suspect it has been their plan to play it regardless and it’s worked.

A rare failure for SC. Golden duck!

That was quite a ball to deal with first up. Good bowling…

1 Like

Umpires have been really good in this series, but that was a bit of a howler. I called inside edge in real time, not sure why the umpire couldn’t see that.

Saying that if we still had a review left…

1 Like