Cricket, lovely cricket (Part 1)

Strayan is very weak. The Strayan batting and overall strategy is poor. The bowlers were too often bowling short and wide of the stumps. Up until yesterday no quick bowler had an lbw in the series IIRC and only 7% of deliveries were at the stumps. You are going to struggle to get folk out if they can leave everything dangerous go to the keeper and avoid a run out. Straya appears to have forgotten that bowled and LBW are valid ways of dismissing the opposition batsmen.

Also, the drop-in pitches at Sydney and Melbourne (to an extent) were poor. No swing, minimal spin and very slow. The pace attack is good but was hung out to dry by the tatics, conditions and rubbish batting. The Ashes are likely to be one-sided unless the Strayans pick Smith and Warner, which IMV they should never do again.

Itā€™s back! :grinning:

Massive year for English cricket starts tomorrow. I think this West Indies team could shock England at home so they had better be on their game. Iā€™m really looking forward to it!

2 Likes

Me too. I expect us to win, but it will not be easy.

Yes, one away test series win does not make an all conquering side. Root might lose a toss for a start. :grinning:

What, with his collection of double headed coins?

Itā€™s not Rodders calling yā€™know

2 Likes

Rashid bowling in the middle with Moeen, speculation is that Broad will miss out.

WI win the toss and will bat, no Broad! Rashid at 10 has more first class 100s than every one of the West Indies barring Darren Bravo who has 11.

1 Like

Missed the first 5 balls (walking the dogs) but Jimmy seems to be getting a little bit of swing, not much though. Curran may have gone for 8 in his first over, but encouraging that they were both thick outside edges.

Early days, but looks a fairly decent pitch.

Good to see 2 spinners, but still a little surprised that they left Broad out. Maybe signs that they are planning for the future?

Moeen :grin:

Either that, or they are still worried about the top orderā€¦

or they have one eye on The Ashes and donā€™t want to put too much strain on their two aged pie chuckers :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Oh, I think that goes without saying. If Burns, Jennings and Bairstow perform here then all is good. If they donā€™t, I havenā€™t a clue who theyā€™ll draft in.

Since the Ashes doesnā€™t start until August, I very much doubt that is the reason

1 Like

If Broad hadnā€™t got hit in the face and lost confidence in his batting I am sure he would be playing. They are just trying to pack as many runs into the low order as possible. Not sure itā€™s right to be honest but the top order is still fragile.

Root lost the toss, which has been important in the last 2 seriesā€¦

I can only dip into Cricket Social, where there was an interesting discussion whether winning the toss has skewed Tests in favour of the team batting first.

They were spraffing around the idea of sealed bids from the captains, offering a quantity of runs to the opposition in order to bat first.

Had they been drinking?

Itā€™ll never happen.

My impression was the idea was not just conjured from thin air.

There are certainly discussions at a higher level than the commentators about how to remedy the toss effectively deciding the match.

Jimmy, mustard with the new ball. :+1:

2 Likes

Incredible figures on that pitch.

24-12-4-33

Amazing

1 Like

Haha! He is such a perfectionist, did you see his body language when he got the last ball a little too straight? :grin: