Curing thumpy bass on bookshelf speakers

Apologies for the HiFi thread

I have a small system in the TV room, a Chromecast and t-amp into Wharfedale diamond 9.1s. The speakers are on a bookshelf; one is directly in the corner, the other in a corner created by a chimney breast.

As might be expected, the bass is fucking awful, thumping away. It sounded much better when against a stud wall.

Any easy fixes for this? No space for new boxes, and I don’t want to spend much/any money. It’s not a terribly important system, but as it is, it’s almost unlistenable.

My brewery system was doing the same. I plugged the ports with polystyrene blocks. Cost £0.00

That’s a good point, I’ll order some crap from Amazon and hope it comes with padding!

Couple of old socks might do the trick…

Or some Tena pants?

Tena, for a pair of pants ? They saw you cumming mate.

1 Like

Are you here all week? How’s the fish? :wink:

I gather there’s a good joiner in the St Albans area who’ll modify the size of the ports for around £8000.

HTH, :+1:

6 Likes

You could try connecting a 100uf non-polarised capacitor in series with each loudspeaker. This will roll off some of the low end. If too much low end is lost use a larger value, too little use a smaller value. It’s a fairly crude fix when you really want to be notching out a specific band of frequencies, but it is cheap.

Better still would be to change the value of the input capacitor on the t-amp but this requires soldering and the t-amp is probably surface mount components, not so easy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hifi-Crossover-Capacitors-100uf-50v-low-loss-x2-/230558375587?hash=item35ae599ea3

fill em up with gravel…plenty of extraction going on nearby, I’m sure they won’t miss some.

or I can sell you some used socks stuffed with the finest Siamese cat fur…

Curing thumpy is an anagram of Chumpy Turing :thinking:

Spoonerism

1 Like

Aye, that.

You should design an open baffle bass system to replace the current bass implementation.

1 Like

I’ll get me chainsaw :+1:

Chainsaw monkey? Been skilling up?

How hard can it be? And how many legs so you actually really need, eh?