Decent cheapo DAC to plug a Chromecast Audio in to?

Hello, I’ve been messing around with a Chromecast Audio and Tidal, and someone mentioned plugging it in to a DAC for betterer sound…

I won’t be buying it this month, but any ideas cos’ I’m clueless on such things.

Cheers,

Rob.

1 Like

Maybe look at Schitt Audio, they have an EU site now.

https://schiit.eu.com/

1 Like

Topping D30

1 Like

Try them out first Rob. The Chromecast doesn’t sound too bad on it’s own and I’ve heard plenty of ‘super’ DACs that to my ears made no difference or sounded worse than the vanilla ones they were far more expensive than. And remember the Chromecast only has optical out, so you’ll need a toslink cable and a mini adaptor and a DAC with optical input.

I partly use my DAC as a switch box now as I have the Chromecast, Transport and TV into it. (And I think its a cool looking DAC :sunglasses:)

2 Likes

Rob, you can make me an offer on the red ADC/DAC you borrowed and liked.

2 Likes

I have found the chrome cast dac quite decent -I will be surprised if you find a large difference unless you are lucky. I like the benefit of a dac with volume control then you do not have to 100% rely on the bluetooth phone connection or PC for volume level.

The D30 comes with lots of good reviews and measured comparisons see paste below.

I bought a FX audio mini dac and for me that was not really an improvement. on the inboard dac

1 Like

I think I have an Audiolab M-DAC mini in a box somewhere if you want to borrow it?

2 Likes