Diet and Fitness

You’ll probaby be able to do it with out too much trouble I would have thought.

You still have a decent amount of fitness - albeit not a lot of time on the bike - and your mental which helps a lot. :grinning:

1 Like

Maybe :stuck_out_tongue: but I want to enjoy it as well :stuck_out_tongue:

https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/rws-training-pace-calculator

Handy tool for the runners?

Well it pretty much nailed my training pace for different runs.

yeah, likewise

1 Like

Have to say I agree, very little reward for a lot of effort and risk of injury.

For people who can’t sprint :slightly_smiling_face:

Decent 6 mile run today, gradually finding a quicker pace pretty comfortable and able to pull off a decent sprint at the end :running_man:t2:‍♂️

Shame it pissed it down for the last 3 miles :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

How much are you generally running each week?

I ran 10k and a couple of 5k’s last week. All of it at an easy pace apart from a couple of harder intervals on one of the 5k’s. Together with a 50 mile easy’ish ride and a couple of days commuting by bike I felt I was ready for rest over the weekend…

Probably going to keep running and riding at that volume for the foreseeable. I’m less and less inclined to plan for any longer cycling events this year- If it happens to work out that it’s convenient and I’m in good enough shape then I’ll do them, but I don’t really have it in me to plan for stuff this year.

I’ve let my running drift a bit over the last few weeks as work has just gone over the time manic and for the first time in a long while, very stressful - really I ought to run more but just not managed the mental energy to do it.

But my usual which I’m on track for this week is 2-3 x 5k at slow fast slow pace, and then a Sunday longer run usually 6 to 9 miles at an average pace.

Depends what your goal is really. I still want to run one half marathon this year, and get into doing a regular parkrun and improve my time. Other than that I just use running to keep up a level of fitness and avoid a stone of weight going back on.

1 Like

The goal this year was just to not get out of shape :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: I expected to be merely minimising the decline. However, I’d planned for the worst and reckon I am fitter now than at the start of the year :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m focusing on running at the moment- I’m enjoying it and it fits easily around my week leaving weekends completely free for family. Keeping my hand in with the cycling and doing occasional pushups. I don’t have any goals for my running but I do feel like I’m steadily getting a bit better.

The last 3 years have been quite a big volume of cycling so I don’t think it’ll be bad for me to have a more moderate year. Consistency, variety and moderation are this years words.

1 Like

LOL.

3 Likes

Hah, I can do a 5k in less than 30 mins so I’m adding up to 5 mins to my miserable life each time, err although perhaps I ought to start running more slowly to end the pit of mortal despair I currently find myself in much sooner - suicide by stealth :smile:

2 Likes

Intervals today at lunchtime. Plan was to do 4 but I accidentally pressed the skip button on the last one. I wasn’t sad.

Half mile intervals- not entirely sure what I’m doing but aiming for a speed that I can maintain for the full distance over all the intervals. My intervals were progressively slower today so I think I went out too hard on the first one. My slowest interval was still faster than my fastest last week though and that was despite reducing the rest time from 5 minutes to 3.5 because I’d read VO2 max intervals should be ~1:1 work to rest and intervals were taking me ~3.5 minutes last week. Today my intervals were 3.00, 3.12 and 3.23. Heart rate was higher this week…don’t know if that’s a good thing or if it reflected an improvement or just trying harder this week. Total workout worked out ( :stuck_out_tongue: ) as a touch over 5k.

Also, this was despite doing an easy’ish run yesterday with the running group :+1:

Reckon I’ll stick to 3 reps next week- thoughts, anyone?

1 Like

Aye. Feeling my legs today…

1 Like

My legs feel better today rather than worse which I presume is a good thing.

If you kept doing the same interval session based on intensity rather than a set speed would you always be as sore afterwards?

Asking because my (extremely vague) plan is to focus on running and probably up the cycling once I adapt to this weekly running schedule.

Talking of my vague plans- my wife hit the nail on the head this morning when she said my current obsession is not being obsessed with anything :joy:

2 Likes

Nope, your body should adapt.

Thinking about it, I should have been able to answer that myself from my cycling experience!

I’ll wait until I’ve adapted before I add any more cycling to my week.