Discogs - WTF!

As long as they are not your physical back-up for all the flac files you have ripped to a drive :grinning:

thought it was illegal to create copies or rips of CDs (even for backups)

You really shouldnā€™t think so much. :grinning:
Making a copy for personal use has always been OK as long as you kept the original

It was only legalised in 2014 and made illegal again in 2015

Making copies of copyrighted music and videos for personal use is again illegal in the UK because of a ruling by the High Court issued today.

Looks like I was wrong on the backup side but itā€™s still illegal to use the rip for anything other than a backup.

Anyone give a shit? Nup.

3 Likes

Just finished uploading my vinyl collection too (around 800 canā€™t be arsed to do CDs) and also very surprised at some of the prices especially the maximum total which I would happily accept :grin:

3 Likes

[quote=ā€œMyrman, post:26, topic:14535, full:trueā€]
Just finished uploading my vinyl collection too (around 800 canā€™t be arsed to do CDs) and also very surprised at some of the prices especially the maximum total which I would happily accept

I agree. The Max total is laughable.

It was bad enough claning my vinyl over lockdown, and now Iā€™ve got to upload it to Discogs? Sod it, Iā€™ll go and play Below The Bassline again.

Listing your vinyl on Discogs is the analogue equivalent of ripping your cd collection.

Never gonna happenā€¦:joy:

2 Likes

I think itā€™s going to be very handy having that list accessible on my phone when Iā€™m out buying stuff so when Iā€™m thinking ā€˜have I already got a copy of that?ā€™
Checks the app. Yes 3 copies you twat.

Itā€™s the future Jim. Donā€™t fight it.

7 Likes

Yep. I seem to buy more than I catalogue, so the target becomes ever more distant :roll_eyes:

Itā€™s not so bad if they are bar coded, but of course most of mine arenā€™t :pensive:

The figure does always surprise. The reality of realizing it can be a tad soul whittling. Ever wonder why some people who run record shops for 20+ years are curiously grouchy? Imagine scamming customers, lost parcels, spending hundreds on cardboard, feedback from OCD pedants, missed couriers, charge backs, post office ques, customs forms, cleaning records, refunds, postage claims, postage hikes, play grading, sticker removalā€¦ E v e r y d a y. a sense of humor and a love of music help here.

ā€¦selling records just for money must be the pits.,

10 Likes

Selling anything is the absolute pits 90% of the time.

I did rip my CDs to a hard drive hanging off a Squeezebox Touch, not internet connected. Partly so I donā€™t have to fiddle with their nasty packaging.