Velvet Vortex ultrasonic vinyl cleaner

I always do two wettings/scrubbings/extractions on the Loricraft. The first with the cleaner (Art du Son or similar), then with RO water to rinse.

1 Like

I might look at a Velvet Vortex drying solution in the future but not enough time to look into that just now.

I have not had major issues with air drying and will be making a Velvet Vortex drying rack soon and other accessories to help when using the cleaner.

There are some vac solutions with platters smaller than record labels to help eliminate cross contamination the Karcher window vac idea could work but I’ve not had a chance to try that. It would need something to protect the surface of the record before it would be effective.

Rinsing is good to do and definitely has its benefits.

I have in mind a cheapo aldi drill and put the carbon rod into the chuck and spin it in a bucket when it comes off - would that be better than a hoover set up as not touched by anything and cenrtripetal force doing the work - also fits nicely with the VV approach as record already mounted and ready to spin

1 Like

Just played the Rubber Soul record that I had previously written off. It sailed straight through the area where there had previously been thick gunk, and as I said before this was a solid piece you could easily feel running your finger over and about 3" long by 1" deep. Still loads of crackles but then I only cleaned it using tap water, a splash of wetting agent, some alcohol and a squirt of fairy then just left it to dry.

Now to work out the correct solution - any experience yet? It must be a different mix from that used on cleaners like the moth as the cleaning process is completely different.

Any idea what the gunk was Mick? 50 yr old jizz?

Some record libraries recommend a solution using something called Tergitol, which is pretty difficult to get hold of in domestic quantities over here.

Try soaking the area in warm water with a pinch of bio wash powder?
Not sure how it is on plastics though!? Great for food in pans!

1 Like

No idea to be fair but there is a strong possibility resin of a Moroccan origin was involved - it was a reddish brown colour :thinking:

I have seen Tergitol mentioned - currently using a wetting agent suggested by Tim @Spider
https://www.ilfordphoto.com/ilfotol-wetting-agent-product

My concern is the mix. Most refer to spinning cleaners / vacuum devices which you layer a little on rather than a bath that could froth up! Also, the former can be made in small quantities whereas the Ultrasonic uses nearly 5 litres which needs to be stored - often you will only want to clean a couple of records.

Getting the right mix, rinse and drying routine will provide a really great result in my opinion. I’m lucky in that I’ve already got the Moth to give the rinse and dry.

1 Like

Must be a fucking big moth and well trained :wink:

3 Likes

Another few Velvet Vortex have gone out over the last week or two.
Feedback has been good.
I still have one or two available if people want to buy one.

3 Likes

Can anyone recommend a solution mixture yet? I’ve bought the distilled water, isopropyl alcohol (99.9% allegedly) and wetting agent (Ilford Ilfotol) but cannot find a mix suitable for cleaning records.

Hi Mick. The mix I use is 5 litres of distilled water, 200 ml alcohol, 15ml of wetting agent,
This works fine for me with most records. I hope that helps.

1 Like

Brilliant, thanks.

Have a read of this.
Another concoction to consider?

I have some Triton x100 that I use on more stubborn or very dirty stuff.
It is very strong so I only use 5ml to 7ml in my mixes, along with the ilford wetting agent it works well.

Just a word of warning, the Triton or Terbitol (if you can get it) is expensive and in its pure non-diluted state is not nice stuff. You need to avoid getting on your skin or splashed in your eyes, as a minimum a pipette is needed when handling it.
Once diluted in a gallon of cleaning fluid it is fine, but care is needed in its pure state.

3 Likes

Big thanks to Tim and Mrs Tim. I called on him to-day with my brother in law so that we could both pick up our new cleaners.

Very useful demo and offer of bevereges.

My brother in law is a relative newcomer to vinyl but a great music fan. He recons he will recoup the cost of his machine by bargaining down sellers of grotty vinyl pointing out how grungy they are but he will still do them a favour and buy them, albeit at a reduced price. It will pay for itself within the year even if you only knock £1 off each LP.

Time permitting I will clean some of the unplayable vinyl that I have amassed over the years.

This has to be the best VFM investment for any one who buys collections/charity shop/ car boot buys or has some old grungy stuff that they will not risk a good cart on.

It helps that Tim is a top bloke to deal with.

11 Likes

Had a chance to try this on some old vinyl and charity shop stuff. Works just as advertised. Stuff that I have never subjected my stylus to is now pristine. Listening to an original the mamas and the papas which had never been cleaned and was decidely dodgy/grungy. Sounds like new.

3 Likes

Still having great results with the Vortex. @Spider Tim please could you bring the stickers to the Yorkshire do on the 14th? Also do you have a couple of spacers I could purchase?

Thinking about the next step. Have you thought about cutting the original lid to fit over the clamps to put on when not in use and want to leave the fluid in for a while? Or CNC a new one perhaps with a rubber seal?

Hi Mick
Yep I can bring you some stickers to add to your machine and I can bring a couple of extra spacers to no problem.
I have thought about cutting the lid to allow it to fit but it is stainless steel and I’m not sure the hobby CNC would cut it. I might give it a go and see if it’s possible.
I do plan to have a go at a lid in plastic as soon as I get time to look at it on the cad software.
See you in a week or three.
Cheers
Tim

1 Like

Used mine for the first time tonight, really happy with the results.
Managed to salvage some boot sale buys with a significant reduction in snap, crackle and pop.
All I need now is a cable lifter or magic fuse…

This was from four records previouly Okki Nokki-ed.

1 Like