Donald Trump finally announced as some massive in-joke (Part 2)

Twunt surely?

I have been watching the trial on a live stream
I love a good courtroom drama!

Yeah, but it loses something when you know the outcome before the trial has started.

1 Like

This is essentially the exact opposite of Columbo.

It is still quite shocking, they are showing security footage that has not been seen before, it is scary how close the mob got to the senators when they were evacuating them, they were in the next corridor.
I also hadn’t realised that the footage of the cop caught in the door was over two hours after the mob broke into the Senate chamber. It went on for hours.

1 Like

I was gobsmacked as to how extensive the violence was. Unbelievable. The UK news never covered the extent.

Makes the BBC reports on Otis Ferry’s attack on parliament in 2005 look a bit excessive.

They showed some bodycam footage from a cop holding the line.
It was crazy, I am amazed they didn’t start shooting.

1 Like

Just what I thought. They didn’t give the impression of just backing off to support the protesters , just trying to control the inevitable that will many will have been armed.

The Capitol Police were excoriated in the wake of the riots for “standing by and doing nothing” but it’s become increasingly obvious they were hung out to dry. They knew what was coming through their intelligence gathering but could get no aid; the military claimed it would be “bad optics” for the DC National Guard to be in Washington on that day, offers by Virginia and Maryland to send National Guard and State Troopers were ignored.
Anyone claiming this was some spontaneous uprising and not a putsch organized by Trump and his allies is either disingenuous or really, really stupid

6 Likes

Yet we know not enough Republicans will vote with the evidence. Trumps base has them shit scared.

2 Likes

^^this^^

I do wonder what they thought the endgame would be. Were they really hoping the mob would round up Pelosi, Schumer, Pence, AOC, Ilhan Omar etc and actually execute them? And then what? Have the protesters sit in there (with the National Guard sitting by outside doing nothing) while Trump & Co took control of the ensuing chaos?

What do people over there think the plan was?

I don’t think there was any endgame imagined. Sociopath Trump was, as usual, just being reckless with his rhetoric, his allies probably thought Pence and Republican lawmakers would be frightened enough to do Trump’s bidding.

1 Like

Yep, couldn’t agree more. Throughout his tenure Trump behaved like the spoiled child that he has always been - turgid with egomania, rage, spite and selfishness.

When he couldn’t have his own way - possibly for the very first time in his entire life, and in full view of a nauseated World - this was his tantrum. And people died.

Of course he’s clinically incapable of Getting It, so on he rails - lying and complaining, backed-up by his pet delusionistas, mentalists, anarcho-fascists and cynical enablers. Especially them…

2 Likes

The cynical enablers knew the fraud claims were bullshit but were grasping at straws trying to hang on to power. They hoped that by sowing doubt, they could transform one of the most lopsided defeats on American electoral history into some sort of deadlock and use the remedies the Constitution prescribes for a true deadlocked Electoral College to overturn the results

2 Likes

No matter what the outcome of the impeachment and any dregs of election fraud claims, they will keep playing this one string violin all the way to 2024, even if Vladmir has the fliptop-orange-shitgibbon Novichocked, they’ll keep right-on with this and so many other much-nastier lies to try to crowbar a lurch back to the right and ensure the Dems don’t get a second term…

1 Like

Hunter S. Thompson had the right idea back in the 80s when he suggested fencing in Montana as a giant white-trash penal colony

3 Likes

I think we often get sucked into thinking these are like Bond film uber-baddies with masterplans and shit. The reality is they’re hopeless tosspots.

When did Eliot Carver or Blofeld ever book Four Seasons Total Landscaping for a press conference?

9 Likes

It’s what the Russians do best.
Destabilise. Repeat.

It just keeps us weak so they can grow more strong. There is no ultimate end game beyond sucking out our time, money and patience.

Less time spent on looking at them.

True, and the West does the same to them. The Great Game.

We just have to hope that no-one does press the button - and that could come from either side (likely in an escalation from a minor power doing so).