Donald Trump finally announced as some massive in-joke (Part 2)

They are normally misdemeanours but as the hush money was paid before the election and in order to suppress a story that would affect his election chances it is a felony.

Not sure why they aren’t charging him for the NE payments as well though.

The defendant DONALD J. TRUMP repeatedly and fraudulently falsified New York business records to conceal criminal conduct that hid damaging information from the voting public during the 2016 presidential election.

Oh the fucking irony

1 Like

This sort of covers it.

Hopefully he’ll keep screaming gibberish and slagging off the DA and the system. Then he’ll be done for contempt of court. I think the judge was pretty clear on that

FFS even now he’s still bullshitting and claiming he got the most votes ever at 75 million, if he got the most votes how did Clinton beat him on the popular vote?

More Americans voted for Hillary Clinton than any other losing presidential candidate in US history.

The Democrat outpaced President-elect Donald Trump by almost 2.9 million votes, with 65,844,954 (48.2%) to his 62,979,879 (46.1%), according to revised and certified final election results from all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

There’s a theory that the Democrats want Trump to get the nomination as he’s more beatable than, say, DeSantis. Then again, if he doesn’t get it maybe that will split the Republicans and they’ll lose because the Trump base won’t support anyone else. We can only hope …

2 Likes

Seems one HELL of a gamble given he looked like the joke candidate first time out, and yet look what happened…

What depressingly-insane times we live in…

Except they haven’t actually charged him with that. The felonies are the 32 minor cases. there is no charge that the culmination of all 32 leads to a greater crime. it will play out in Court, I’m expecting him to win. I hope he wins as that will get him the Republican nomination and likely lose him the next election.

When the first inkling of a possibility where we might live in a time of insanity where Trump and Johnson could hold positions of power I stuck a speculative bet on and eventually as it sadly came to pass, collected £500 which I used to buy some artwork for the house. I can’t quite make up my mind whether at least something nice came from this or whether I resent the pieces when I look at them!

3 Likes

I’m not holding my breath on any of that until we know who the Dem nominee is going to be. Lots of sitting Presidents go for a second term, but Biden is seriously fucking old already. And the Dems have just as much potential to be a fractured house if not more so than the GOP.

1 Like

1 Like

Both are now eligible to vote. As are their non ironic fans.

The disconnect between reality and what seems to drive people to vote has been a long-standing problem though. Ordinary people have voted Conservative in this country for decades, when it has demonstrably been not in their interest to do so (OK, let’s park the Corbyn thing as an anomaly).

The same’s true in the US. The MAGA brigade voted for Trump. They gave him the opportunity he asked for. At the end of his time was America Great Again ? No. It can’t have been because HE’S STILL CAMPAIGNING ON THE SAME SLOGAN ! It doesn’t matter if his failure was someone else’s fault. If they vote for him again HE WILL FAIL THEM AGAIN (and it will be someone else’s fault again, but that doesn’t matter either). The man has a 100% record of failure. Yet they’ll vote for him. Or maybe, just this one time, they won’t …

1 Like

People buy people, rednecks buy rebels. Racists buy Racists and poor people buy billionaires. It would be laughable if not for the consequences.

5 Likes

It’s demonstrably not in people’s interest to vote for politicians, and (as a broad generalisation, lest we get hopelessly mired) they increasingly don’t. Our problems (US too) are greater than which party to elect - the entire political/administrative system is broken: it lacks robustness against vested interests, is very vulnerable to any kind of persistent propaganda, and is significantly divorced from what should be its sole remit: accountably running a nation in the best-interests of the majority of its inhabitants.

Our democracies used to work by regularly swapping between parties that were somewhat polarised in their approach to society, finance, &c, &c, but the gap has diminished, and (more in the UK) demographics permanently changed with the cancer of Nationalism creeping-in - weighting outcomes in favour of one party. That removes one of the most important the checks and balances of old.

That entire nations have been convinced that their best interests lie in becoming poorer, worse-educated, with fewer rights and freedoms, less-employed, lower-paid, more socially-isolated, more geopolitically isolated, tolerant of immorality in the powerful, intolerant of the vulnerable, and in favour of becoming serfs to the hyper-rich tells a horribly depressing tale of stupidity and gullibility across all demographics…

That many of the signs and symptoms are not new is unimportant, they are more widespread, they are being exploited in new and more-insidious ways by more morally-bankrupt players, and the wider public are being more easily groomed to avoid questioning it and to believe they actually want all this…

8 Likes

The best way to control and accumulate more slaves in your service is to get them to believe that they are actually free, and that all the bad things that are happening to them is somebody else’s fault.

The very few who enjoy everything that they want are vulnerable only to the sheer weight of numbers of the people that they rely upon granting them permission to do this to them. Draconian methods of control work for a while but inevitably fail as the masses figure out how precarious the position of the few is.

So the few then realise how easy it is to instead weaponise democracy to their own ends, and to convince the masses that the redistribution of wealth away from them to create a tiny number of exalted demi-god billionaires is actually a good thing and in any case their idea anyway.

4 Likes

Yep. Trump could have done the arraignment by Zoom. This is to get footage for campaigning/money begging.

3 Likes
Former President Donald Trump’s 2024 campaign said it raised $7 million in the days following his indictment in Manhattan.
The reported sum came as Trump was en route to New York City in advance of his expected arrest and arraignment.
Meanwhile, a super PAC backing Trump’s possible top GOP rival, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, said it raised $30 million since its launch last month.

Each carries up to a four year custodial sentence.
There would be no necessity for sentences to run concurrently.
That would do me.

1 Like