eBay stuff (Part 2)

More from the bottom of the ebay barrel.

Just think of the many hours of being dead you could have tinkering with these. Do look as though somebody put a bit of effort in. Was it the right sort of effort?

What is the arm?

Transcriptors?

yup. This one will go very high

How big a mountain? Asking for a friendā€¦

On the lookout for a valve pre, these seem well built, and unlike the ARC stuff will fit in my hifi unit. Probably a bit too ā€˜big leagueā€™ for meā€¦

Anyone experienced?

Nothing big enough for tannoys.

:disappointed:

2 Likes

Having tried the 7.5 I canā€™t really recommend VTL preamps but ymmv.

If it fits I would very much recommend an Audio Valve Eclipse which I think would suit your ears much better. @Mrs_Maureen_OPinion can tell you more about how they sound.

1 Like

TBH, itā€™s hard to say how itā€™ll sound teamed with different kit, never mind pitched at different expectations, but my abiding impressions are that it treads a middling path, not over-bright or forensic, not plummy or adding its signature sound, low noise, and sensitive to valve changes - which if you like to roll 'em is good news, not least because the best Iā€™ve heard so far are well-measuring examples of modern EH valves. First bit of kit Iā€™ve had in a while where Iā€™ve not felt the desire to pull it apart and tweak it.

Happy to host if anyone wants a listen.

3 Likes

Ended up with a low reserve and a bargain

1 Like

You never want to go Full Rabski

1 Like

Just spotted these beauties for sale. 300W Class A Monoblocks :heart_eyes:

Sadly, Iā€™d need to do a 17 hour round trip before about 10am tomorrow morning before I leave for the Alps, and there doesnā€™t appear to be a postage option :frowning:

Some times things like this need to be done. You must buy the things.

Ooh, change of plans, I now have until Thursdayā€¦

2 Likes

Tbh I canā€™t even remember what he was supposed to be building.

I still remember the partially built pre and phono stage keeping each other company on the soldering desk thing.

Does it matter? Itā€™s like the most hypothetical valve amp in the world :rofl:

Decision made then.

Fingers crossed they do exist and donā€™t set fire to stuff.

He did actually purchase bits for it didnā€™t he?