eBay stuff (Part 1)

I wouldn’t bother. Very poor.

I heard some about ten years ago, I really didn’t like them plus they were being sold brand new by a dealer for £27K so they have had a hell of a price increase in 10 years.

Anyone had experience of this amp? Good review on 6 moons (if that means anything). Quite fancy a valve power option as an alternative to my Job 225. One owner reports they can power Spendor S8e (my speakers) but i’m unconvinced as I know they take some bringing to life (insert Spendor jokes here).

You’d be surprised at the number of these that are sold purely for decoration.

Does anyone else have the problem that once you’ve mulled over a problem long time, you can remember the later steps, but forget where it all started?

Across the ginnel, the upstairs flat combi-boiler exhaust fan wafts squarely at the rigid brick and mortar walls. An elderly lady, probably late 80’s or 90’s lives there with her son, and runs the heating continuously for most of the year. The resulting noise/vibration is akin to having a motor launch in the vicinity, in still airs.

So that’s why my eyes popped at the ultra-hefty, with the idea that a bit more bass control would do no harm. Already have 2x GIK 244 panels 6 cms off the side walls behind the standmounts, and a free standing 1m 60cm foam pillar in the front window corner, so some of the basics are there.

When I start making progress I’ll link this to a listening room thread. I’m already sure that your suggestion is better than my first thoughts. I’ll be looking to make the install as convenient as possible, whilst giving an obvious site for artwork.
Hoping that I’ll have some small Leading Edge panels to take to Settle. I’m pretty clear what they’ll do in a small room, interesting to see if they’re still discernible in a much larger room.

Damn good thing we hide this place under the bushel of japes, capes and jollity. If folks got to know that you were in danger of getting a same day reply from an expert’s expert, who knows what kind of pond-life might want to crawl in? :face_with_monocle: :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I owned one of these a few years back and it was my very first valve amp. Cayin A-88t is an excellent amp very well built and it sounds great. I bought mine direct from China for about £400.

1 Like

Yep, never heard a bad word about them

Seems about right based on current S/H pricing, will watch and try to resist…

No, everything gets a good review.

1 Like

I use a pair of ms aviano 1 in 3rd system and I rather like them

Cheers, let me know when you get down to the nitty gritty, the devil is very much in the detail.

1 Like

Still quite fancy a play with another pair of MS442s as I never felt I got the best out of the pair I owned.

Fortunately, I’m over speakers now, so someone else can have 'em.

2 Likes

4 Likes

What?? I’ve reached the end of my speaker journey. What’s so funny?

It’s not like I’m going to stop buying turntables or anything…

2 Likes

What did you stop at?

A pair of Japanese packing crates he didn’t need, but was in a hurry to pick up?:grin:

1 Like

I like that, it has a bit of Sansui about it :slight_smile: