eBay stuff (Part 1)

I was surprised to find last week that eBay actually offer you the ‘no returns’ option when you list an item for sale. It seems it’s shorthand for ‘We don’t take items back just because you don’t like the look of them or you find they don’t do what you were hoping they would when they turn up - basically because you ordered the wrong thing’. As you say, it doesn’t protect the seller from a return if you have legitimate grounds (not as described, damaged in transit etc).

VB

1 Like

I think this is where the confusion lies, but if you read the selling rules it’s perfectly clear.

1 Like

So bottom line is, if it isn’t as described (working) then legally the seller is obliged to accept a return, and the refund would be dealt with by PayPal? Just wondering if that protection would work in this instance.

Yes.

1 Like

Actually I’m not sure about that. It may be impossible in practice to make him take it back. But you will get your money back, which is what most people care about. If he won’t accept a return then you may get to keep the amp too.

He also says he won’t accept responsibility for damage in transit. If he arranges the courier then he has to take responsibility if they damage it. If the buyer arranges the courier then I think it’s less clear who has to take responsibility. Under normal circumstances it would be the buyer since they’re the ones who entered into the contract with the courier. But eBay may still try to dump that on the seller.

VB

If you complain to Paypal/ebay that the item isn’t as described you will get a refund every time - even if the item really is exactly as described. They just side with the buyer automatically.

1 Like

Over priced even after the price drop

Last time I sent something with parcel force that got wrecked I had to refund seller

:thinking:

1 Like

Note to self, must read description…I thought the arm and cart was included…doh!

I guess you mean you had to refund the buyer. I’m afraid that’s the way it works. If I buy something from Amazon and it arrives bust then I expect either to get a replacement or to get my money back. Shipment is Amazon’s job, not mine. EBay have imposed the same rules on sellers. When I’ve sold stuff on eBay I’ve always packed it assuming that it’s going to be thrown out of an upstairs window and land on a concrete floor (literally, I am not joking). This usually involves heavy bubble-wrapping then double-boxing with a layer of absorbent material between the inner and outer boxes. I also pack to withstand really heavy stuff being stacked on top of it. If I don’t think that I can pack it well enough to protect it then I insist on ‘buyer collects’. I’ve never had anything damaged in transit.

VB

1 Like

Quick query for ebay sellers, I’ve recently sold my first item on ebay (yeah, I know, slow starter), the money is in my PayPal account but on hold until “approx” 26/12. The item sold on 5/12. Is this delay because I’m a new seller, or is it normal? I provided all the tracking info etc as soon as I sent the item, and it’s been received with no problems.

Just normal Rob - if your a new seller or haven’t used your account for a while they usually do that.

1 Like

Cheers Allan. It’s a pain in the arse cos I need to refund the buyer a couple of quid for postage that worked out a bit cheaper than I first thought, and I feel bad he’s had to wait for so long.

It is a pain if you’re selling Rob.

So does the waiting time get shorter with each sale, or is it just for the first one that it takes so long?

Assuming everything is ok with the sale it should only be a one-off Rob. :+1:

Cheers Allan. I’ve got a few bits and bobs to get rid of, stuff that everyone on here has gone well past, so that’s good news.

Ha you never know Rob - given our penchant for the archaic :grinning:

1 Like