Feckin' Weather

Indeed. But the way things have been lately, I wouldn’t discount either another beast from the east or a spring heatwave.

It’s the extremes and unpredictability that’s worrying.

2 Likes

Be afraid, be very afraid.
Unless of course you’re called Trump because global warming and climate change just does not exist, the warmer weather is simply a gift from Trump with love.

Saddleworth moor on fire again this morning.

1 Like

Yeah the night shots were very dramatic. February!?
Anyway the weather lady predicts that it will all come to an apocalyptic end after today.

Over the weekend just gone near a friend’s house in Minnesota.

4 Likes

There are moorland fires in many parts of the country. The vast majority (almost all) have been started deliberately by gamekeepers. Burning is carried out so that men (and a few women) can shoot lots of Red Grouse for fun as it creates the perfect habitat for this gamebird (well, until they are shot, of course).

Strines Moor on Monday

Walshaw Moor on Monday

Shaw Brook and Fenny Common, Peak District on Monday.

1 Like

I was up on Dartmoor last weekend. It is dry & yellow. In most previous years it is a a big waterlogged peaty sponge in February.

Has there been any ‘controlled’ burning up there, in the last year?

I’m not sure. I haven’t seen any but it does happen.

The problem with burning is that it destroys water retaining plants, including sphagnum mosses. Once they are gone, it becomes a monoculture of heather.

While this is great for Grouse estates, it is bad news for peat bogs and other wildlife. It also exacerbates climate change and reduces water quality.

1 Like

wow , they have it bad !!!

I know this is about climate not weather… but anyway, enjoy it in on an unseasonably warm february day

2 Likes

Snow.

Wind.

Benson clocked a 48mph gust over average speed in the 20s earlier.

VB

This. I’ve spent the last hour repairing a window in my brewhouse which had blown in overnight.
It appears the frame may have flexed under the strain of a wind gust.
A couple of extra screws and it’s (hopefully) sorted.

Got blown off the golf course this morning.
50mph winds on top of the South Downs was a bit extreme.
Competition abandoned

Wind here also.

Since it’s not raining I thought about going up a ladder to heave some ivy out from under our eaves before the growing season really starts. Then I thought again.

VB

3 Likes

Windy here in Devon n’all

My shed backs onto open fields uninterrupted by anything between here and Benson. Added to being just below the face of the Chiltons, it gets quite gusty here.