Field Coil cartridges

Here’s my IO Ltd Early Kondo supply

6 Likes

Thanks for posting @Ruprecht, that looks like a passive linear dc supply

Bridge rectifier with CRCRC filtering, with a series dropper resistor, using components typical of AN JP back in the day

3 Likes

3 Likes

I do love hearing a foreign language… :laughing:

The very early ones had a small Yuasa inside and a 3 way toggle switch for Charge, Off or Play. That battery would give about 5 hrs use. Btw, the cartridge needed 1.2V @ 0.5A iirc.

1 Like

This may well have been inspired by those AN JP PSU’s

Before the split (JPN / UK) AN-Japan made the cartridges and the power supplies until they decided to wind back production and UK sent badgers over to JPN to learn how to make the carts etc so production could continue in the UK…One such badger was @murrayjohnson who will be along soon to say I’ve got this all wrong.

I had to replace one of the 3 selectable, German made batteries in that type of ANUK assembled supply. As a supply, it worked very well although I didn’t have time to look closely at the charging circuit while I had it.

How good would a single AA Eneloop be? They are 1.2V, and easily capable of half an amp. I seem to remember that they have a very flat voltage drop as charge status changes, so the sound would be quite consistent.

1 Like

I don’t know, I’ll have to buy a pack & try them.

What’s an Eneloop battery / what’s special about them?

They’re just good quality AA rechargeable batteries. The advantage is the steady voltage:

From here:

1 Like

IKEA Ladda are Eneloop Pro’s if the internet is to be believed…

I think that is an Audio Note JP battery power supply

I don’t think so. It was built with parts bought in the UK from the likes of RS.

1 Like

Saw these as well…

But no idea if they be suitable?

There’ll be voltage dropped in the fine wiring so you may need 2 in series to allow for that.

1 Like

Advice / General Question regarding Resistor Choice for a Battery FC PSU, (for dropping voltage to supply a FC Cartridge).

Is it best to go with the higher ratings in terms of:

%: Is it better to go with 2% rather than a 5% resistor?
Wattage: Is it better to go with a higher watt rating: i.e. 10w rather than 5w?

Thanks,

nige

The answer of course (and always) is Audio Note non magnetic silver tantalum.

If its 1.2v at 500mA then a 2W would be more than plenty for 600mW, guessing the best tolerance achievable would be the goal with such a small voltage.

You could buy a load of 1% and then test with a multimeter to find the closest value.

@nigeh I expect someone will be along soon with a sensible answer. :grinning:

1 Like