Five hundred quid vinyl set up

Very cheap. AT LP5 ( second hand) into Eddifier powered speakers ( new). Even remote control volume

for £350 ish.
Sounds waay better than you would expect at up to moderate volumes. Fit and forget. Only tweaks would be QuietPC sorbothane feet to TT to add a little more isolation.
Thanks to Darren I organised this system as it had to be black and had to sit on an existing sideboard unit. Even his Missus was very impressed with the looks and the quality for the money.
EDIT: the QuietPC sorbothane feet were added to TT last week to give a little more isolation and they allow the wick to be turned right up with no feedback so Mega value upgrade. :+1:

8 Likes

That looks the doozy.

I only mentioned the LP3 to keep things in the original budget. The LP5 is a lot better and you can upgrade the cart etc.

Bit cheaper than the at, but with a better cart it should be a decent dect going by reviews

Tempted to get one for my singles as suspended decks are pita

1 Like

Which Edifiers?

What he really needs is a Reel to Reel :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

2 Likes

R1855DB Subwoofer Supported Bookshelf Multimedia Speaker System with Bluetooth, Black -

R1855DB-BLACK

£112. Reasonable 40W sloping front to help with being plonked on a unit. CPC Farnell do the range.
Obviously the more you spend you can go to full active rather than merely powered.
This was just a “get you going” system for someone with no knowledge of vinyl and its idiosyncrasy whatsoever. It does the job very well within budget and tight constraints.
The alternative for someone with assistance available is a TT/amp/ and speakers but that depends far more on room/taste in music/ SWMBO constraints on looks/ once and for all system or path to upgrade. So many variables to consider so much more info needed.
Easily spend £400 on a better front end and £100 each for amp and speakers gets you a fantastic sound. Looks and age of kit may be more a matter of taste to a great extent.

1 Like

AT LP5 is discounted at Curry’s for a limited period

1 Like

Wow, I thought it was about £300

Very similar set-up to mine :+1: - 3 month old Technics SL1500 and new Edifier S3000 Pro’s.

Nice sounding and easy as you like.

1 Like

I still love my AT-LP5. For £189 it’s a steal.

The new LP5x is £300 odd. The older LP5 is reduced on run out. It’s still a fine piece of kit and ridiculous value at sub £200.

1 Like

I’ve no use for one of those LP5’s but at £189 I’m tempted to buy one just because it’s a proper bargain. :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

Put a half decent cartridge on it (like a Hana SL) and it sings.

And that is the problem. I don’t need a TT in the mancave system, I can’t fit a TT in the mancave system but if I got one it would start the upgrade path.

1 Like

Even a budget Nagaoka is a nice upgrade.

1 Like

I’ve used 2M Red, Blue, MP200 and the Hana. I have no doubt it has the potential to improve considerably with better carts.

I’ve just bought an AT VM95ML for mine. Hoping it’s half decent :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

The 2M Red fitted as standard to the Techie is pretty tragic :frowning:

I found the Red to be OK. It couldn’t be called harsh but, just too “safe”. It’s nothing special. The Blue stylus upgrade was cheap and full of win.
The arm has an effect on it’s performance. The AT’s is very benign.

1 Like

Exactly this

1 Like