Ford Fiesta 2018/19

Bought a 2018 Fiesta 1.0 Titanium and had it delivered this morning. Looks a great little car.

One slight derp on my part and probably due to buying remotely, is that it doesn’t have rear parking sensors which would have been nice, but not essential.

It appears these were an optional extra which is a bit odd because the rest of the standard spec is very high.

2 Likes

Yeah, you’d think the Titanium trim level would include that…ours is a '14 Titanium and has them :thinking:

I think you need Titanium X to get them standard now.

I think if you buy a brand new Titanium they’re included.

Yeah maybe, ours has a reversing camera so maybe they’re bundled with that…

OK. It’s been a while since I’ve looked.

Looks like the Ford SYNC 3 has never been updated in the car, so today I have mostly been farting around with that.

On the one hand, it’s great that Ford let you do this yourself. No trips to the stealer needed.

On the other, it’s a massive pain in the balls to do.

I was first offered to check for updates over Wifi - at first it picked up there was an update available. Had a quick go at downloading in the car directly, but the status bar just sat there at zero. Today, not so much even as an offer that there is an update.

Checked on the website, and there’s a download to USB option. 2.8GB so probably for the best anyway.

Downloaded to a portable USB, plug in and away it goes. Apart from a message across the top of the screen, no other notifiers of progress until it finishes (about half an hour later)

In order to get the free Nav map updates (thanks Ford!), you have to “prove” to Ford you’ve updated the f/w first. It’s supposed to write an XML file to the USB you updated from.

It didn’t.

More Googling. There’s a troubshooting file you can download to a USB that forces it to write an XML. Download that, install in the car and this time I have said XML.

Back to the PC, you upload the XML, wait a few minutes for it to register on Ford’s database, then it unlocks the map update. Currently waiting for that to d/l to the USB as it’s a bit of a chonker.

You can see why Tesla stole a march on the traditional automakers with their approach to OTA updates.

Actually, that might be quite useful for me. Tried quite hard to do the wireless update on the Galaxy and failed miserably. Amongst other things the maps are massively out of date, and also the default speedlimit in France has changed since the car was made so it regularly advises me I can be driving faster than I legally can.

1 Like

The Map update part sounds absolutely frightening.

It’s in two parts. Part 1 takes around 30 minutes, Part 2 45-60 minutes. With more log file and website database updating afterwards.

Similar deal with the Mazda Update. I’m sooooo procrastinating.

Does anyone really use the maps in their car? I always use Google maps, so much more reliable

I always use Waze.

I am fairly sure my Ford Navigation system relies on me having a mobile switched on in the car, it does real time updates so I think it gets all the infor from google.
But you then get maps and Left /Right indication on the dashboard which I don’t get with google maps.

(Ford Focus Navigator 2013)

Last time I used Waze it drained the battery like buggery.

Yes. I don’t have a smartphone.

The horror

1 Like

Never had that problem.