Front Door Refurb

PS get a printer to do a stick on transfer for the toplight to display the house name - either that or keep the paper and add “No Dogs, No DSS, No Irish” for the full 60’s doss house ambiance
C1. paul’s rec looks nice
C2. no need for rot preventer just cut out the crap and use a good wood filler like everbuild
C3. I like sadolin for exterior door paint zinsser is fancier but works really well
C4. ERA always work well for me

1 Like

I seem to remember that @Mrs_Maureen_OPinion has a suitable sign there already

We have got hinges and door furniture made by carlisle brass here on oak doors. Ours are the polished chrome variants but they do supply stainless and brass. Not sure about a surface mounted latch like you already have.

Try Here

Thanks chaps - some really bloody useful stuff here :+1:

Now I need the rain to fuck off!

That door deserves an awesome knocker when you’ve got it finished.

1 Like

That is a good shout - used to be able to get copies of this:

:heart_eyes:

6 Likes

That would be neat with some low power red LEDs behind the eyes that light when you lift the knocker.

5 Likes

Yep great idea or some custom John Barleycorn type job.

1 Like

Used to use that p45 two pack filler for sills and doors. Just mix up a small amount at a time golf ball size of white, pea size of the pink. And fill it flush not protruding everywhere so easier for sanding

Don’t mix up large amounts as it goes off quick

1 Like

Getting doors off and back on is a bit of an arse, but doing so will make almost all the other jobs much, much easier. If you do decide to paint it with something glossy then laying it flat will mean you don’t have to worry about runs/drips, for example. And you can do it under cover where the weather doesn’t matter.

Board up the hole obvs, like this

only bigger (carriage bolts make it harder for housebreakers to let themselves in). I painted

NOT REPOSSESSED - JUST REPAINTING THE DOOR !

on the outside in big ugly black letters to deter squatters. If you don’t fancy that then I’m sure you could think up something appropriate.

VB

1 Like

Are you sure it’s not your back door that needs “maintenance” :grinning:

+1 for Zinsser

Sikkens is also good stuff.

1 Like

One other thing, if you’re going to replace the letterbox then the bigger one you fit, the fewer times the postie/Amazon will have to leave your Small Parcel in the wheelie bin. When we did ours I fitted absolutely the largest letterbox I could get. I wanted one big enough for Domino’s to post a large pizza through. Sadly that was beyond the 1990’s limit, but these days who knows ?

VB

1 Like

Stay classy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/283096395841

6 Likes

I’ve got a massive one, the postman loves it. Oo-er

1 Like

Postwoman.

VB

1 Like

I hope you also have a *suitable mask for fumes coming from ancient paint. Some of it is very nasty.

*NOT a dust mask.

2 Likes

How on earth do you find this stuff :joy:

1 Like

Be careful with the heat gun,it’s easy to put scorch marks all over it. I’d maybe try nitromous firsst. Easyist way of course is paying a ton or whatever and having it dipped

1 Like

we had one of those - didn’t last long.

this one was better

bat_door_knocker_1

Zinsser BIN is fantastic.

1 Like