Front Door Refurb

Topic hijack.

Our front door too is fucked and needs to be replaced.

This is compounded by the 60s integrated plate, handle, letterbox thing that is badly weatherworn and impressively bent by @Rob998’s over-zealous colleagues.

Changing the external appearance of the house is a no-no (the area is a run by a “scheme of management”).

So does anybody know a company / method / anything about fabricating a replacement panel thingy? CNC? It looks / feels like aluminium.

It’s a lot worse than it looks.

Get it done in stainless steel and with a bigger letter box to give any particularly rabid posties less excuse for wreckage. I’ve lost my contacts lists, annoyingly, but someone like these guys can do it if you give them all the measurements and some close-up pics of any fiddly details.

1 Like

Cool!

Screenshot 2020-10-20 at 14.31.31

1 Like

If the local style gurus are observant enough they will have a nosebleed over the fact that stainless looks different from ally. Re-using the handle might also save a few quid, but again probably forces the rest of the scheme to be in ally to stand any chance of a match.

VB

That’s a pretty big “if” - normies are really, really stupid and unobservant.

What is actually wrong with the Ally? Could it be bench polished? Bead blasted? anodized?

1 Like

Naturellement, but Postie will merely see that as a challenge to his destructive capabilities…

Send RM the bill via the conservation solicitors - Damage will abate (So will most deliveries but it will abate)

if it’s ally, it should come up pretty good with a good rub down with something like Autosol

and wire wool. If it needs a brushed finish, use a Scotchbrite pad in the direction of the grain.

I bet the letterbox bit is repairable too, but as Matt suggests, try claiming from RM, if its not.

I reckon the chances of Guy doing that are way down below zero and into imaginary numbers

2 Likes

Absolutely.

However on closer inspection I can at least see what the problem is.

The previous residents (even worse bodgers than me) have fitted an internal letter flap. This is too narrow. So when the external flap hinges inwards its left and right corners catch on the frame of the internal, so it doesn’t open anything like enough.

Hence the postie jams stuff through the middle of the half-open external flap and has, over the years, bent it.

I kind of understand listing buildings where old important people used to live or visited and took a shit there or whatever. That’s fair enough but the seeming proliferation of US HOA style ‘management groups’ that can dictate the look of your property from the colour and type of doors and windows to what plants you can er plant to how many cars up on bricks you can have is galling to me. An Englishmans’ home is his castle and if he want it to look like some raging crackwhore lives there it’s his right to do so as long as he pays the mortgage.

If some jobsworth cunt wants to tell me how my house should look he can pay said mortgage himself.

Tasteless cunts are why these committees and associations exist: it takes just one mornoic wanker to devalue all adjacent properties. Back when houses came free with a family-sized box of Omo it didn’t matter, but now houses cost more than Zimbabwe is worth, the game has very much changed.

When I was in the army I seem to remember a pack of Omo on the kitchen window meant “Old Man Out”.

A friend told me.

5 Likes

When they got rid of conductors on buses the new ones were known as OMO (One Man Operated) buses

1 Like

I remember that, my granddad worked for Hartlepool Buses at the time.